Eating, Conditioning, Novice gadgets, bloodlines (long)

Happy Holidays Ridecampers,

Catching up on RC, my 2 cents worth on a couple of subjects.
Eating on trail:  After Kadance+/ (over 3000 CTR & endurance miles) did her
first 50, she started eating every chance she got as soon as the ride started
--- grabbed grass at steam banks when we stopped for a drink, grabbed at any
leaves that stuck out into the trail. She taught her son the value of eating
early & he copied her behaviour before he started doing the longer distances.
 They both like to go, and Tempo, since he's a stallion, esp likes to be with
other horses & go down the trail (never know who might be ahead) --- but they
take great care of themselves, getting right down to business at the pit
stops eating & drinking.
How many new fangled gadgets does a novice rider need?  When I started CTR's
about 10 yrs ago I thought it would be right up my alley as trail riding was
all I ever did.  Boy did I have a lot to learn!!  The one thing I did do
right was to get enough LSD on my horse so I didn't kill him.  My 1st 25 mile
CTR was more like 35 miles (RM error, which does happen!) & as I didn't know
how to pace, I just kept going & going & was one of the few riders to make
the time window (set for 25 miles).  I did an endurance pace at my 1st 25
mile CTR!  I didn't know anything about electrolytes, hadn't clipped my very
hairy horse, but fortunately there was a lot of water on the ride & I had
conditioned the horse pretty well and he was a tough old guy, so he come out
pretty well.  I quickly learned my saddle didn't fit him too well (so started
the Great Saddle Search that Never Ends), my riding was pretty lousy (so took
several yrs of dressage lessons which were very helpful).  Oh, & on that 1st
CTR my new truck broke down so I had to hitch a ride home for my horse from a
total stranger (since I didn't know anyone there!!).  The fact that a
stranger kindly gave us a ride & my horse & I survived hooked me on the
sport.  You don't need all the fancy gadgets to get started, but you do need
to do your conditioning homework for your horse.  This sport forces you to
improve your horse(wo)manship in a lot of ways --- saddle fit, nutrition,
conditioning, etc., etc. and you are free to experiment and use whatever
works for you & your horse --- no stuffy rules about what kind of saddle or
horse or type of clothes the rider has to use.
Conditioning:  Start slow & work up gradually.  Started Tempo at 2 1/2 yrs
old and did nothing but walking (about 10-15 miles a week over 3-4 sessions)
until he was 3, then started adding trotting & cantering & work on hard
surfaces in VERY SMALL INCREMENTS.  He's now 6 & quite fit, and I try to get
up to 50 miles a week (usually hit 35 to 40) over 3-4 sessions a week (most
rides are about 12-13 miles long, with maybe a 20 every other week).  If the
ground isn't too muddy or slick, I keep up a steady trot with some cantering
and trot uphill (my terrain is gently rolling, so uphills only take a minute
or 2 to get up).  I don't clip in the winter to try to get his heartrate
elevated a little (the cold weather & a fit horse don't drive the heartrate
up much, esp if I have to take it easy because the ground is slick).  I don't
use the heartmonitor much at home now because I know I have to keep going to
get it up to even 120 on this terrain in the winter.  I use it religiously on
rides.  I back off before an upcoming 50, giving the horse at least 4 days
rest before.  Horse gets a week off, free run in a pasture, after a 50, and
maybe some light (90% walking over 5 mi) riding (more for his mental state as
he's a stallion) a week or so after a 50.   I've sometimes done 50's 2 weeks
apart, but next yr I will give at least 3 weeks apart, with maybe a 25 mile
CTR close to home 2 weeks later as conditioning before the next 50.  2 weeks
was probably a little too close as Tempo goes at a pretty good pace on the
50's, and the 50's are tough around here.
Endurance bloodlines:  Pretty is as pretty does.  I'd go first for the
conformation and personality.  Kadance+/ has a lot of Crabbet, some Al-Marah
& some West Coast that I guess would classify as CMK.  A line to *Witez II
and her maternal sire line is Spanish (known for substance, bone & laid back
temperament --- she has all 3).  I bred her to a Crabbet/Polish
(*Serarix/*Caliope) cross stallion to get Tempo.  Someone mentioned that
cutting horse lines make for good endurance horses & with my 1 rat study I
have to agree --- Tempo has 2 paternal brothers that were top cutting horses
& boy, is he ever agile on his feet!!!!  Really works off his hindend, lovely
canter, and is very good downhill.  Kadance+/ has 3 IAHA National CTR top
10's and I think 6-7 50 mile endurance top 10's & is still going strong with
her new owner.  Tempo has an IAHA National CTR top 10 and 6 50 mile end top
10's (over 1200 miles), so I think it's safe to say their bloodlines may have
some merit --- but you will also find their bloodlines in halter horses that
I wouldn't touch with a 20 foot pole.  As someone said --- it's how the lines
were bred that are crucial.
Off for another week skiing, so will catch up with y'all when I get back.

Nancy
Md