Endurance bloodlines

Edie desertbred@USA.net
Yikes!!  Bette...  No, all Arabian breeding programs do not have their roots in the Egyptian breeding program....  It is that the Egyptian programs have their roots in the horses of the Nejd, or farther North, as they got their real Bedu horses from Arabia. It was the tribes of the Arabian Peninsula who deveoped the horses in the tents in harsh desert conditions over thousands of years, not Muhamed Ali and his relatives. (There are other tribal groups who also breed and have bred but not with the fervor and religious zeal or isolation that the Peninsula Bedu did.)  I know the IAHA mag. wrote up a `big` story a year or two ago about the source of the Arab being Egypt, but that simply is not historic fact.  Historically, the Turks (ie Egyptians) went to the Arab Peninsula as a source of the best horses, whether presented as gifts, stolen or won in battle.  Occasionally,a current Egyptian breeder will claim that all the Peninsula horses were taken to Egypt..  that is claimed by numerous people about three times in recorded history, but then there is always a return trip for more horses, and they do not materialize out of sand--- (always the breeding stock, standing in the folds of the tent.)
     Our horses are only descended from horses from what is now Saudi Arabia -- pre-Egyptian, if you will -- and they do very well-- particularly fast, particularly quick at recoveries (we are quite sure their recent acqusition from the desert brings the extra large heart. Recent writing tends to credit the desert horse passing the large heart to Secretariat).  They also have longevity;  we have a stallion, son of two imports from King Sa'ud Ibn Abd 'al Aziz, in the back yard who is about to celebrate his 30th birthday. so--  I have to disagree.. There are several of us whose lines are not based on Egyptians.
     I don't think many people know about these guys--- mostly because there were not many of them and many were mixed up with everything else, and because some were not registered when they got here, and because the importers were never interested in showing---  they are performers, not halter prospects. We have lines now representing all 17 who remain unmixed with US, Polish, Russian, etc. lines.  They are considered ASIL in Arabia.

You said...
Let's face it, all the Arabian breeding
programs as well as the thoroughbred programs have their roots in the Egyptian breeding program---and they didn't do so badly for their Arab
masters. How many other horse breeds could sleep in a tent with their
owners or travel for days and weeks on virtually nothing? Heart,
temperament, physical endurance---we have it all in our Arabians.
Merry Christmas
Bette

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-