Re: RC: Reply from an educated derelict

At 01:48 PM 12/26/99 EST, Tivers@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 12/26/99 8:57:19 AM Pacific Standard Time,
>ralston@AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU writes:

[considerable sniping snipped]

> >However,
> even ti admits the use of the CC type products is not an exact science yet
> and
> there is a risk of horses "bottoming out" (no, not imploding-just quitting)
> if not monitored carefully.>

>You don't have to monitor--you simply have to keep up the supplement--or run
>out of gas. And if you run out of gas, no horse will die--after all, there's
>all those VFAs to survive on, right?

You've apparently done a great deal of work with race horses on what we
consider to be extremely short distances.  The very long distances we deal
with are a very different picture from a physiological standpoint.
Considering that, do you have any actual data to back this up?  IIRC, you
previously stated that your personal experience with endurance was limited.
 None of your books reference anything having to do with long distance
racing, and primarily deal with breeds that aren't used in our sport (there
are exceptions, obviously).

So, what studies have you directly participated in with respect to
endurance?  What were the results of these studies?  Are any of them
published in peer-review journals?

> >All of us are risk takers. Any horse sport
> involves an element of danger to both rider and animal. Some choose to
> accept high risks to acheive a certain goal, others would like to minimize
> risks to acheive a different goal. So be it-but you need to know the risks
> if you are to avoid or face them! >

>You have yet to demonstrate, remotely, any risk at all to carbohydrate
>supplementation during a ride.

You haven't demonstrated anything one way or the other here.

>Indeed, the reports coming in indicate benefit--for the horse.

Reports from who?  Are we dealing with anecdotal evidence, or are we
dealing with properly designed studies?  How was the data collected?  How
many horses were in the sample?

>Your dire warnings, and those of Heidi, are
>motivated, in my opinion, by something other than the welfare of the
>horse--perhaps squirming attempts at defending past "pronouncements" from on
>high. Again, I confess that I can't fathom the logic.

I read it differently.  I believe she's just asking you to document the
risks and benefits.  I see no "dire warning" here - just merely asking you
to document your claims of benefit, and substantiate what the risk factor
is.  I have a hard time believing that anything is utterly risk-free -
TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.  So, how many horses
have you tried this on that participated in endurance rides, and what were
the results?  Were there _any_ negative results?

Since you like to question motivations, I'll lay mine out right now - I
don't do research in this area, I don't have any books or videos to sell,
and I'm not a vet.  I'd just like to have more competitive horses that are
fit to continue for many, many more years to come.

[more sniping and personal attacks deleted]

David LeBlanc
dleblanc@mindspring.com