Re: RC: Ridecamp

Hi, Heather, Just me responding.  I think you will find, if you met any of
the Ridecampers face to face that they are kind, considerate, warm
individuals who would open their home to you any time you cared to visit.
However, when they pass messages back and forth what you see is the rugged
individualism, outspoken nature, solid opinions and free spirit that also
motivates them to saddle their horse and ride God knows where until they
drop from exhaustion.  That is why they are good at what they do.  I have
never heard of two horse people getting together in the same room that
agreed 100% about how to ride or train or feed a horse.  Rather than flame,
sit back and enjoy the animated history unraveling before you.

At 10:33 PM 12/26/99 -0000, you wrote:
>As I've said before I'm new to Ridecamp.  I joined because so much comes
out of America in terms of equine research into sports medecine, nutrition,
training, etc, etc.  I get Arabian Horse World & Equus and its obvious from
following the performances of Becky Hart & Valerie Kanavy & all those who
preceded them that America is at the forefront of endurance.
>So I joined because I wanted to learn and because I felt that in a small
way I could perhaps contribute.
>I had been warned there would be lots of mail (yes!) and that there would
be lots of terminology I wouldn't understand (yes!).  Initially there was a
spate of fascinating information but this has been replaced almost entirely
by some kind of personality struggle which to my mind doesn't belong on
Ridecamp.
>Why don't you guys just arrange to meet somewhere & have a sort of
show-down at some OK corral.
>The shame of it is that you've probably forgotten more than most of us will
every know but the gems are being lost in a mire of barbed repartee which
doesn't relate to what most of us are trying to get out of Ridecamp.  Unless
there are "campers" out there getting some vicarious thrill from this Battle
of the Giants.
>Also the science of it all is getting me down.  This is horses we're
talking about isn't it?  Sure the sport must progress, and scientific
research must play its part, everyone would agree, but isn't there some
happy medium somewhere?  What is a glucometer anyway & will it make my horse
win races???  Flame me for being a Luddite if you will but I thought
endurance riding was about conditioning, feeding, good riding,
interpretation of the trail, and lets not forget, good crew.
>Bye for now
>Heather Hamper
>SW France
>Not forgetting Darrar, Pearl, Nayla & Syruss who have gone looking in their
Christmas stockings for glucometers & carbo-loaders

><HTML><HEAD>
><META content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" http-equiv=Content-Type>
><META content="MSHTML 5.00.2919.6307" name=GENERATOR>
><STYLE></STYLE>
></HEAD>
><BODY bgColor=#b8b8b8>
><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>As I've said before I'm new to Ridecamp.&nbsp; I
>joined because so much&nbsp;comes out of America in terms of equine research
>into sports medecine, nutrition, training, etc, etc.&nbsp; I get Arabian Horse
>World &amp; Equus and its obvious from following the performances of Becky
Hart
>&amp; Valerie Kanavy &amp; all those who preceded them that America is at the
>forefront of endurance.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>So I joined because I wanted to learn and
because I
>felt that in a small way I could perhaps contribute.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I had been warned there would be lots of mail
>(yes!) and that there would be lots of terminology I wouldn't understand
>(yes!).&nbsp; </FONT><FONT face=Arial size=2>Initially there was a spate of
>fascinating information but this has been replaced almost entirely by some
kind
>of personality struggle which to my mind doesn't belong on
>Ridecamp.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Why don't you guys just arrange to meet somewhere
>&amp; have a sort of show-down at some OK corral.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>The shame of it is that you've probably forgotten
>more than most of us will every know but the gems are being lost in a mire of
>barbed repartee which doesn't relate to what most of us are trying to get
out of
>Ridecamp.&nbsp; Unless there are "campers" out&nbsp;there getting some
vicarious
>thrill from this Battle of the Giants.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Also the science of it all is getting me
>down.&nbsp; This is horses we're talking about isn't it?&nbsp; Sure the sport
>must progress, and scientific research must play its part, everyone would
agree,
>but isn't there some happy medium somewhere?&nbsp;&nbsp;What is a glucometer
>anyway &amp; will it make my horse win races???&nbsp;&nbsp;Flame me for
being a
>Luddite if you will but I thought endurance riding was about conditioning,
>feeding, good riding, interpretation of the trail, and lets not forget, good
>crew.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Bye for now</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Heather Hamper</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>SW France</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Not forgetting Darrar, Pearl, Nayla &amp; Syruss
>who have gone looking in their Christmas stockings for glucometers &amp;
>carbo-loaders</FONT></DIV>
><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

Nancy DuPont, Executive Director
Heritage Trails
1350 Castle Rock Road
Walnut Creek, CA 94598

Our Mission: To preserve and protect trails and answer the question, "Where
are you going to ride your horses, and where are you going to keep them."
Telephone (925)937-7661 FAX (925) 943-7431