Millenium Moonlight

We had the most incredible experience last night.  Three of us rode to
celebrate the last full moon of the millenium,  which was in conjunction
with the shortest day of the year (Yeah!!  days will start getting longer
again!!) and a 133 year cycle, in which the moon was closer to the earth
then normal, *and* the earth was closer to the sun.

We started out after full dark, wrapped and layered, the horses blowing
white breath, into the unbelievably large and bright rising full moon.
After riding some open trail, and about a mile of lightly wooded section, we
headed up the 'Mountain'.  The normally majestic view from the Platte was
literally magical.  After going down the long slide, we trotted up the road
to the Bobcat trail. Walked and trotted that, then around to the old
stagecoach station to let the horses graze for a few minutes.  By then the
Moon was full up, the ranch roads literally glowed, reflecting the suns
light back to the moon.  We Galloped across the back of the ranch, around
behind the lake and into another short wooded section, that would take us
the  Wild Lot.  By now, we were all very warm, and  jackets were open.  It
was a perfect night, absolutely clear and cool, without a breeze.  We went
into the Wild Lot and galloped the side trails, and the back, until we came
to the Interior Trail.  We had discussed riding this section, as is it very
thickly wooded, and difficult to follow, even during the day, but there was
no backing out....  This was the ultimate night ride, and nothing would be
left for regret.  We took the lead, and I gave Shadow his head as we walked
out of the intense moon, under the heavy canopy. He slowed his walk, and
swayed his head, watching, carefully staying on the narrow, twisting trail.
The loud rustling of the leaves made chatting difficult and we each traveled
with our thoughts, trusting our horses to take care of us.  Although we had
glimpses of the brilliant moon thru the branches, the light couldn't
penetrate to the floor, especially into the deep washes that the trail
crosses and follows in several sections.

Coming out of the last thicket into the meadow, the moon was brighter and
more welcome then ever, and invited another gallop, which we happily
accepted.  Only one short wooded section remained on this loop, sandwiched
between clear, open pastures with good dirt roads. Alternating our lopes and
trots, we finally pulled the horses down to a quiet walk and headed back to
the ranch house.  Everyone was quite cool and thankfully, the water had been
put on, and was ready for us, boiling when we came in.  Each of us had a
double hot chocolate with a big dollop of whip cream on top!!  (I had two!!)

Altogether, a Wonderful, Memorable Experience....  quite an appropriate ride
to mark the closing millenium.

Becky Huffman
Huffman's Arabians ~ The Original Series
http://www.htcomp.net/Huffman/