Re: RC: Questions from a neophyte

In a message dated 12/22/99 12:43:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,
hn.heather@wanadoo.fr writes:

<< Hi Tom & Heidi
 I've only just joined so forgive me if I'm dragging up old subjects.  I've
addressed my post to you because your names pop up the most.
 Carbo-loaders - which ones & when?  During rides? What distance?  During
training?
 Electrolytes - What do you recommend?  Most of the 'lytes available in
France are heavily loaded with glucose or dextrose.  Would you pre-load & for
how long before a ride?

Mix a carboloader like Vita-Flex;'s CarboCharge with an electrolyte (water
soluble) and shake it up in a plastic awater bottle at the rate of 4 oz per
dose (you'll lose some in the delivery. 2 hours frofore the ride, one dose.
At the start, one dose, every two hours during the ride one dose. Immediatly
after the ride, one dose.

 Would you give 'lytes on the trail or at vets?
 I have a particular problem with my gelding who virtually stops drinking
once we leave home to go to a major ride.  He often starts a major ride
slightly dehydrated.  Am I exacerbating the problem by pre-loading?  At major
rides he has a bucket of beet pulp juice in his stable & he drinks a lot of
this.  Is this OK?  This is unmolassed beet pulp.>

Somebody else will have to anser this--don't know enough about beet pulp.

> This same horse had a problem in Oct with an low but irregular hr 78kms
into a 90kms race ride.  We pulled him because we weren't sure what we risked
by carrying on.  Someone suggested that irregular heart rates are linked to
electrolyte imbalance & that the pre-loading could have caused the imbalance.

Maybe. Got to tune your elextrolyte intake to everything else.

 >I thought that excess electrolytes just got excreted.  This same horse has
recently completed 200kms in 2 days with no probs. as my horse vet said that
the vast majority of irregular hr's/murmurs go away with exercise.>

That copuld be too. Out of my range of knowledge.

ti

 Thanks & I look forward to hearing back from you.
 Happy Christmas
 Heather & Darrar who says "damn, thought the irregular hr thing would work,
must think of something else......."