The dilemma

I would like to comment of the dilemma ride vets often find
themselves in.  No one likes to treat horses, least of all the vets.
As they watch horse after horse pass by them in a vet check (most
of which are in quite a hurry) they must make a decision that could
or could not effect the rest of the day and they have to do that in 3
minutes or less.  No easy task and it is natural that mistakes are
made.  If you really want to experience how vets agonize over their
"pool of knowledge", ride with one.  They have come to be
expected to KNOW what is going on with their horse.  The truth is
that most of it is an educated guess using whatever tools they can.
 As Heidi pointed out, an educated eye can be more effective than
textbook knowledge.  This can be seen at CTR's where a lay judge
can spot a horse on the verge of trouble faster than an
inexperienced vet.  This can be frustrating for riders who get pulled
by a vet who simply goes by the numbers.  On the flip side, it is
equally frustrating for the vets when a horse crashes after it has
passed by the numbers.  So, we all know that no one person and
no one set of criteria can tell what will happen next with a horse.
What we want to know is, " is there such a thing?"  Hence the use
of on-board thermometers, on-site blood work and glucose
monitoring.  Gone are the days of touchy-feeling, here is the age of
technology and boy is it confusing.
Somewhere in a riders learning curve there comes a realization that
everything that they are doing might not be everything they could
do.  Kudos to all of you that are participating in this discussion for
you are raising the awareness level of many.  However, there
remains the dilemma of what is REALLY going on with our horses
and to that end I hope we continue to search.
John and Sue Greenall
mailto:greenall@vermontel.net
http://www.vermontel.com/~greenall