Remote area accidents

In view of my wife's recent accident, someone asked what to do in such a
case.

My first reaction to this question is, take all precautions so one does not
occur! I know that it sounds to be a bit bland and casual but, it applies.
Be sure all your gear is in good condition and WEAR A HELMET.

Accidents do happen We all know and all will have one at some time. It is
not when but how serious will it be.

In case of a serious one like we had there are few options. First be aware
of where you are. That is so you can give directions to those who will be
helping. Next is to immediately send for help. Make the injured person as
comfortable as possible and keep them warm, to the extent that the uninjured
suffer from the cold. Keep that injured person warm. Heed all the things you
learned about first aid, do not move the person if at all possible. Keep
them warm. Treat for shock. Keep them warm! And wait and wait and wait for
assistance to arrive.

Remember when you are off the beaten track it takes time and the waiting is
intolerable especially if  the injured one is very close to you. (like my
wife) Getting upset because of the delay is wasted effort, upsetting to the
injured one and not in the least helpful.

So, MY greatest advice, keep the injured one warm and be patient.

Sorry but there is no other solution to the situation.

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID