Re: RC: Riding Solo

  My first Solo ride was OD, it was also my second 100 (I know, not to
smart).  We were entering a VC (can't remember which) riding down a paved
road.  At the time I rode a little English saddle, had all my little bags and
stuff tied everywhere!  For some reason, as we got on the road, I decided to
swing my leg over the front of the saddle, and kick my stirrup free and jump
down.  I'm riding with my Mom and Gene Fisher.  So I swing the leg over, kick
the stirrup free and go to jump down...forgetting that my sponge is tied to
that side of the saddle.  My sponge and rope are now between my legs, and I
am hovering attached to the saddle this way, until the rope breaks.  I land
on my hands and knees on the asphalt.  My dear mother couldn't quit laughing.
 Didn't even ask if I was all right, just if I could please do that again.
  They also held the 100 mile Ultramarathon for people along with the ER.
Now we were eating (if at all) raisins, trail mix, etc., and all along the
trail the runners had aid stations set up.  You wouldn't believe the food!
Cookies, candy, sandwiches of all types, cokes everything I like (chocolate
covered, salted and fried are my food groups).  I was just drooling as we
rode by.  They offered us anything we wanted, Mom (also going solo) and I had
to say no we weren't allowed.  Just as we almost got out of sight, I hear a
voice say, "want some candy little girl".  I wondered if it was okay for a
solo rider to beat someone up at that time.  I guess If I held onto the horse
and did it unassisted...
  Sorry you asked Angie?  I have never been pulled out of an outhouse, since
you do have to hold the reins through the door, or tie to a tree and risk
horse getting loose.  But at ROC one year, at the last vet check it was
pouring down rain, and ended up sleeting.  Everyone else had trucks and hot
cocoa and stuff to help warm them up.  I ended up spending the vet check in
the portalet out of the rain.  Luckily no one else needed it.

Nina