Re: RC: Saddle problems/questions (long)

Haha

a change from carbs to my favourite topic good old saddles.

I ride in the UK so can not comment in depth on wetsern saddles. However one
of my friends rides her 14.2 hh Arab in a western type endurance saddle the
bighorn. It is plenty wide enough for her horses back and spreads her weight
well. Her horse is small shes about 5'7''.The only change she made to it was
to have the girth and rigging changed from centre fire with the loop to the
back of the saddle to 7/8 rigging  I think, as I say Im not up on western).

I have had variously 16 1/2 meduim gp outgrown by horse the tree split! A
dressage saddle which worked well for me and for horses shoulder movemnt but
was to narrow and an endurance GP fitted by a master saddler which was way
to narrow and caused serious back injury.

I changed to a sports saddle imported at great cost to the UK which helped
my horse to compete whilst his back healed. Unfortunalty its way to wide for
me and so is now for sale .

Iv now moved onto a wintec GP. I can not tell you how happy I am with this
little saddle. The gullet ( under the saddle) is wide and the panels are
wool flocked and again wide to increase load bearing. I can change the
gullet plate to widen or narrow the saddle as well. the tree is a very thin
laminate polymer and I can feel my horses back just as well as I could in
the treeless sports with an equlizer pad under it.

It is also rider friendly as I can sit deep and centred in it and the seat
is padded  so its very easy to sit at all paces. The saddle looks smart and
has been mistaken for leather. All for the grand sum of £245 including
fitting. I have only tried it on long hacks so far, will try on CTRs next
season. The only down side is going on a guilt trip about liking a cheap
saddle compared to the many £100's spent on my other saddles!

Good luck with your saddle hunt.

Tamara