Re: RC: Re: Parameters

In a message dated 12/20/99 8:26:29 PM Pacific Standard Time,
navion@lightspeed.net writes:

<<   Yes seems obvious to me too.  So if those blood glucose levels indicate
 the horse was running out of fuel, then we need to do something about that.
 I assume that is what they show.  But do they mirror muscle glucose levels
 that I have heard mentioned here?  So he was running out of fast acting
 fuel?>

First, muscle glycogen is burned. Then blood glucose is recruited when muscle
glycogen levels drop significantly. Then, as glucose levels drop, the liver
kicks in and you get a temporary bump in the blood glucose. During this
period, muscle glycogen is still being depleted, and the subsequent draw on
blood glucose, after liver gluconeogenesis, is more dramatic. At some point,
the central nervous system begins to inhibit muscle cell firings as blood
glucose continues to drop.

All these systems are dynamic in their responses. The more vehement the
stimulus, the more drastic the reaction. That's why the effects on
performance of a rapid glucose crash can be more potent than with a gradual
depletion.

 >   The other things the blood and blood gas tests showed was an increase in
 most of the hematology results. Example, the RBC, WBC, Platelets etc all
 increased during the day.>

yes, we see that, too. Dehydration?

  >But I believe these are due to dehydration
 increasing the concentration, not an actual increase in the total amount?>

That would be my guess.

> All those increased about 30 to 50% during the day. Except for POLYS% that
 went down about 25%.    So from this I garner that the horse did not make up
 his water loss during the event. This is a normal occurrence I believe, one
 to work on but not unexpected.
    So now I'm stoked to try to increase his glucose during a ride, something
 new to try.

Next, muscle enzymes. Did you take CPKs and ASTs? We've had them (post ex)
range from 400 CPKs to 2,000, with corresponding increasees in AST and LDH.
In failed to finish horses they were much higher. I believe at least a part
of these numbers has to do with catabolism.

ti