RE: carb depleted vs. low blood sugar

>>I think Tom is referring to depleted levels of muscle glycogen.
>Muscle glycogen can be depleted without significant drops in blood
>sugar.  As long as the liver still has glycogen reserves, or is still
>converting proteins into sugar via gluconeogenesis you probably will
>not see clinically low blood sugars.

I can understand that - but w/o biopsy it would
be pretty hard to use as scientific evidence, yes?
Are there other indicators of muscle glycogen levels?
The assertion that 'everybody else' (I take that to mean
those that are not receiving cc supplementation) come
into the hold fuel depleted - even though they pass the
check and may register normal blood glucose levels - seems
pretty hard to substantiate. Might be true - but can it
be proven? And if these horses are low in muscle glycogen
will it replenish during a hold while the horse rests
and eats? ... I would think not, since whatever is digested
and absorbed is needed 'now' rather than stored in muscle
tissues.

Steph

The original statement was
>>Is it possible that "stopping" the supplementation too soon would
 also make them hang at a vet check?  As in because they are just totally
out
 of gas? >>

>I don't think so. They're most likely to hang with high heart rates.
>Everybdy
else is coming in with fuel-depleted horses and most are passing the checks,
so I don't think that will be a problem.

I think Tom is referring to depleted levels of muscle glycogen.
Muscle glycogen can be depleted without significant drops in blood
sugar.  As long as the liver still has glycogen reserves, or is still
converting proteins into sugar via gluconeogenesis you probably will
not see clinically low blood sugars.
Beth
Beth Glace, MS, CDN
Nicholas Institute of Sports Medicine and Athletic Trauma
Lenox Hill Hospital
New York, NY