Long holds, Heart Rate, tying up, electrolytes

Finally got my grades turned in, so back to the fray.

Was thinking about the long hold/running out of gas issue over
the weekend. John, Sue: do you know how those horses were
managed at the check? One of the most frequent complaints
I've heard about short holds is that the horses don't have
time to eat. Could it be that they had more time to consume
more grain than usual? (again, please note I said "than usual"
-not implying that grain at a check per se would "stop" a horse).

Chromium: I have done research with chromium in horses (old horses
with pituitary dysfunction and insulin resistance)and have read most
 of the literature available, both human and animal. Chromium does
seem to increase the efficacy of insulin's action on glucose,
thereby somewhat reducing the amount of insulin released
where in the metabolic pathway it works nor what the actual
"requirements" are. However, the effects are seen (at least
in the literature)are only after chronic daily dosing, not
with a single jolt. Tom, have you compared the glucose/insulin
response to your CC with and without chromium? I'd be interested
in seeing the data. In our work, reported this year at the Equine
Nutrition and Physiology Meetings, we found that the old mares
responded after about three weekes of a low (0.02mg/kg) dose with
a slight improvement in glucose tolerance but they also had some
mild decreases in immune function. Not that I would expect to
see this after a single dose, but chromium is a trace element
-ie: very minute amounts needed. How much is in each dose of
CC? Just curious, not flaming.

I would be very interested in seeing the science on Tom's
statement a awhile back that heart rate has been shown
scientifically NOT to be correlated with an animal's
ability to continue. I was under the impression that heart
rate recovery was one of the best metabolic indicators of a
horse's fitness to continue, though obviously not the only
one we use and obviously can be falsely elevated (ohmigod-my
 buddy is leaving me! Omigid-a mare! (for stallion owners!;-).

The biggest crash I ever had with my mare was when I did
 try something new at a ride. Look at the archives for the
 summer of '98 for my descriptions of how stupid a rider can
be. I'm not afraid to admit my mistakes (though it was awfully
 embarassing at the time) and hopefully others learned something
from them!

Tying up is like colic-multifactorial. The technical name,
 rhabdomyolysis,means "lysis (or breakdown) of muscle cells".
So just cramping or muscle spasms, unless there is actual muscle
damage, is technically not true tying up.
Causes can be from over exertion/dehydration/electrolyte
imbalance in any horse. Dehydration, changes in pH (ie: due to
lactic acid accumulation), free radical accumulation, etc can
cause cell membrane disruption. The cell contents contain
myoglobin, which is then excreted in the urine, turning it
brown/black (which is why we are the only group of people I
 know who are obsessed with the color of our horse's urine!). To
my knowledge low blood sugar does not cause disruption of muscle
cells. Nor do glucose/insulin serve as antioxidants or buffers.
So I am at a loss to explain why CC would prevent a reoccurence
 of true rhabdomyolysis the next day, as Tom insists it does.
(if a horse had truly tied up, I doubt if I would WANT to work
him the next day-let those muscle heal!)  Stephanie Valberg
(Minnesota)and Beth Valentine (now at Oregon) (sorry, they are
dreaded academics but they really have come up with something
interesting) have characterized a polysaccharide storage
 myopathy (PSM, Duncan, not PSS) that appears to be genetic in
draft horses, Quarterhorses (not related to periodic hyperkalemia
AKA:Impressive syndrome) and even the occasional Arabian.
 As pointed out before these horses do well only if fed a
high fiber, high protein (which really surprised me) and high
fat ration with severely limited access to grain or other feeds
high in simple carbohydrates. If fed a high carbo diet they tie
 up big time at the drop of a hat. But not every horse that ties
up has this problem-again a tremendous amount of variability.

Some horses are much harder to manage metabolically than others.
Fling, for example, is extremely prone to cardiac arrhythmias
that I am assuming (though we haven't yet taken blood when
she's doing it-will try to catch her next season) are due to a
Ca and potassium acute deficit. Only happens when she's had some
 major mind farts (omigod-there's a horse in front of me-gotta pass
 him, oh-there's another one, gotta catch up etc-she has Tom's
mentality but I love her anyway) on the trail. Since I started
adding more potassium and calcium to my electrolyte mix it seems
 to help. Since nervous sweat has a different sodium/potassium
 balance than heat dissipation sweat (work done a long time ago),
 my question is: has anyone else noticed this-if horses are
particularly nervous they are more likely to get into electrolyte
 related problems even if on a "good" electrolyte supplement? I know
the conventional wisdom at the race track is that nervous young
fillies will tie up more than calmer ones or colts.

Sarah (who will leave off my academic credentials from now
	on since they only seem to inflame certain people on the list
	and will use only my "practical credentials")
Working at and vetting endurance and competitive trail rides since 1978,
 	including 8 years of Old Dominion and the first 5 ROC's.
Manager of the Horsetooth Mountain 50 mile Endurance 1984-1988.
Actively competing with my mare, Fling for the past two years
 (we had been able to train for only one or two limited distance
 rides a year for her first 5 years of being eligible to compete).
 We have done over 1000 miles of competition together, not always
 successfully (pulled 3 times now at 3-day 100's, once for metabolic,
 the last two for lameness), but always enjoyed the feeling of
 coming across that line "WE DID IT!". It's taken me a awhile to
 figure Fling out and how to "rate" her on a ride. Still learning,
 too...