Re: RC: New Baby...Need Input!

Hi Debbie
I have always had my colts together with each other in pasture,
sometimes until they are 4-5 years old and never had a problem. Of
course I don't bring mares around them when they are in together and I
wouldn't bring a new stallion into the "studmuffin pasture" who didn't
grow up with them. I have been known to put them in (individually) with
a bred non-kicky mare when they are one or two years old so that they
learn never to mount unless invited. Usually one well placed kick in the
chest is enough to get the point across. I make sure it is with a mare
that I trust who won't use overkill.
At one point when we were in New Cuyama and there were not many divided
pastures--just acres and acres, I had my 15 year old stallion Jumper,
his 2 yearling sons, 2 yearling Halynov sons, and a 2 year old Hal son
and a weanling Hal son all out in the same pasture. They "practiced
mounting each other and little play stallion tiffs--the young ones that
is--and Jumper was their mentor--to all.  I've been told by many that my
stallion offspring are the easiest to handle and most psychologically
sound. I never have to use stud chains (although all of my boys have had
my tennis shoe in their chest at some point or other) and I have been
known to put geldings in the pasture from time to time.
The funny thing is that I put an old gelding in with Jumper and the kids
and had to take Jumper and the gelding out as Jumper was terribly
jealous that the boys would want the gelding---so now we have a gay
caballero pasture for Durvish and Jumper. Although Jumper breeds Hal
daughters, he goes back to the gelding for companionship. Go figure.
Good luck with your boy.
Bette Lamore, Whispering Oaks Arabians