Re: Trade Show Donation?

Heidi writes:
>Are these trade shows that stand alone, or trade shows that are associated
>with major conventions?  It's the latter scenario in which I've never seen a
>charge for non-attendees of the lectures to attend trade shows.

I've been quite involved with miniatures (dollhouse type ;-)) over the
years and at all of the conventions, there is a charge for those not
attending the convention to attend the trade show.  Not only that, but the
general public is not allowed to attend until that last day...and there are
hordes that happily pay attend even tho the most prized pieces of
miniaturia are probably already sold.  The trade show attendance fee is
about the same as what has been mentioned here and I've never heard anybody
complain about it...and I've happily paid it when I haven't attended the
convention.  Never thought it was unfair...and it never seemed to slow
attendance down.

One of the local (Seattle) biggie cultural/music festivals this year, for
the first time, had donation boxes at each entrance with a sign by each
asking for a Voluntary Donation of $10 each.  This seemed to be a nice way
of trying to cover more expenses without instituting a mandatory fee to a
festival that had always been free.  Steve and I very happily plunked our
$10 each in the box...we wanted to support them.  I looked around as we
walked in and nearly everyone, at that time, was stuffing money into the box.

Both ways worked  -- but the situations were different.  The miniature
convention trade show would probably have the same number of attendees no
matter what...it's an eclectic group and those smitten with that particular
obsession will pay whatever is asked.  The other festival may have had
significantly less attendance if the fee had been mandatory and the venders
would have taken a serious hit if that had happened.  This happening
attracts a much broader section of people...a fair number of whom would
probably not go if they had to pay to get in.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.