Re: RC: Carbo Charge and Tying Up

In a message dated 12/19/99 11:01:42 AM Pacific Standard Time,
DabneyEsq@cs.com writes:

<< Just to add a layperson's fuel to the fire here:
  I gave my experienced endurance horse (who I would not say has "tying up
 syndrome," but will tie up if you give him lots of grain while he's not
being
 ridden for a week) a does of Carbo charge one evening, and the next morning.

 Later that day I rode him.  I'm not sure if he tied up, but something very
 strange happened.  After about an hour and a half of a fast training ride,
he
 wanted to stop, and his muscles were quivering all over.  >

Ok, here's what happened in that case. With a soe of carbohydrate, you told
his body that plenty of fast-acting fuel was going to be available. His body
took your word for it. Later, when the blood sugar was approaching its low
ebb, you worked him hard--and I \imagine he had reasonable enthusiasm for
that work in the beginning. But you told his muscles there was going to be
fuel, they stoked up and burned it, forgetting about VFAs and FFAs for the
time being, and then you exhausted the muscle fuel without boosting it. the
muscles were quivering because they ran completely out of gas.

>   Also, my husband and I both had metabolic problems in races when we fed
it
 before the race, and we observed another rider's horse have the same
 reaction.  I asked on ride camp, and the consensus seemed to be for
endurance
 horses at least it was better to feed it after exercise had begun--now why
 would that be?>

You have to understand how the stuff works. It's "easy come, easy go". You're
not feeding much at a time and the energy provided will quickly dissipate.
You have to keep up the supplementation throughout the ride or you'll
crash--again, because the glucose has pushed FFas and VFAs temporarily out of
the picture. For a short period of time, your muscle cells are going to be
running on empty and your blood glucose is going to be low if you quit in the
middle of the carb supp protocol. No good. Better not to use it under those
circumstances.

 Dabney >>

ti