Re: RC: Mr. Ivers/mottos

In a message dated 12/19/99 10:00:51 AM Pacific Standard Time,
kbeason@cland.net writes:

<< Dear Mr. Ivers:

 Usually, I am a lurker on ride camp. >

One demerit.

> It has been my experience
 that while the giving and receiving of information is a useful method
 of exploring topics, when it comes down to beliefs, it is difficult to
 change minds regardless of the amount of rhetoric thrown about.>

One Merit.

 also realize that from what I have been able to glean reading
 messages on ride camp, you derive much pleasure from being a
 "devil's advocate" and from "stirring the pot" so to speak.>

One Merit.

>  Please
 understand that this message is not a personal attack on you or
 your lack of understanding of the sport of endurance riding.  I do
 not know you, and even if we were friends, it would be improper of
 me to do so.>

One disengenuous mealy-mouth demerit.

>  However, when you pronounce "to finish is to win"
 lame, and make derogatory remarks about that motto, I feel I need
 to reply.>

One Merit.

>  Whenever I am competing in a difficult ride, and I know
 the front runners are hours ahead of me, I do not quit and go to the
 trailer because I am not out in front.>

One Merit for courage.

>  That is not the goal I have set
 for my participation in this sport.  The wonderful thing about
 endurance riding is that every rider can have individual goals that
 can and do span the entire spectrum of competition.>

Double merit for clarity of thought.

> Several years
 ago, as I waited at the finish line of a difficult 50 for a dear friend to
 get in, I was joined by every rider in attendance.  "Those riders had
 requessted ride management hold the awards for the real "winner"
 who took five and a half more hours to complete the ride than the
 lst to finish horse/rider team.  This "loser" was ill with terminal
 cancer, and this would be the last endurance ride she would
 compete in.  I defy you to say that "to finish is to win" was a
 "lame" motto for her.>

One Double Demerit for the use of a touchy-feely sob story to advance an
otherwise clearly-begun argument that had merit. A Clinton/Dole trick many of
us have been hardened to over the past 8 years.

 > I am positive there are other stories that also
 reflect the appropriateness of AERC's current motto.  It is indeed
 fortunate for me that my feelings of accomplishment for my
 participation in endurance riding do not depend on your definition of
 a winner, and neither did Jo Tate's.  Rah Rah for the lst to finish,
 the sport needs the light from the glory of their accomplishments. >

Double Demerit for complete degeneration into ardent sociaobabble.

 >God Bless the finishers, they are the backbone of our sport.>

One merit. Every winner needs ten losers.

> Perhaps the area of carbo's rather than the area of mottos should
 remain your area of expertise. >

Perhaps the area of cheerleading should be yours.

> If the Motto of AERC needs to be
 changed, leave that process to those that understand, respect, and
 participate in the sport.>

One demerit for the outraged self-righteous indignation posturing.

 Sincerely,

 Karren Beason >>

Karen. You began so well.

Cordially,