Trade show fee (long)

I see 4 main problems with the fee. 1. It was "sprung" on people too close
to the event. 2. It was disguised as a donation. 3. As presented, funds will
be collected prior to a plan for disbursement. The public is sick & tired of
seeing money thrown into a black hole.(This applies to everything from the
school board to national govt., not just AERC.)
4.Possible impact on vendors was ignored.

The BOD has made great strides over the last 3 years in running AERC like a
business. This needs to continue. What I would like to have seen was
something like this, which would address the first 3 concerns.
AERC proposes to become actively involved in trail preservation. To
accomplish this goal we will:
1. establish a web site to work as a clearing house for trail issues.
Start up cost estimate will be $XXXX. Annual maintenance fees estimated to
be be $XXXX.
2. Grants will be given to provide funds for trail maintenance
projects/materials.  Criteria to apply for grants will be XXX.
3. Grants will be given to delegates to various trail symposiums. Amounts
will be limited to $XXX/ event. Criteria to apply for grant will be XXX
All monies available will be divided equally between AERC regions. Unused
funds may be reappropriated to needy areas by (i.e.BOD vote, committee vote,
some mechanism to be decided upon.)
Proposal for funding:
Donations to be accepted from individuals and corporate/business sponsors.
Donation table to be set up at convention trade show. Investigate viability
of charging an admission fee at next years convention trade show to go into
the trails fund.

NOW to the vendors concerns. Have you noticed that the long time EN
advertisers & vendors have a personal interest in the sport? That's because
the cost of advertsing to such a small group is disproportionate to the
return. Sure they made enough to stay in business, but the margin is not as
great as catering to other equine activities. (Less than 1/2 our business
comes from endurance, yet we choose to spend money for ads to support the
sport.)
When we went to the Kentucky convention I didn't realize the trade show had
not been widely promoted to the general public. Some of those who just
happened to be there for another event were dissappointed & said they knew
lots of people who would have come. They were intrigued by the different
products and in the sport itself. It would have greatly reduced our "cost
per eyeball" if non endurance people had come to shop! And AERC may have
eventually picked up more new members to boot. I'm not sure how much an
admission fee would cut into attendees, but if one is charged, I believe
part of it could go towards advertising the show. Especially if there are
demonstations & displays of general interest, not just products for sale.
Perhaps $3 to trails, $2 for advertising. Or the admission could be dropped
to $3 & advertising could be wrung out of the $20,000 to $30,000 profit the
convention generates. After all, that's why we have been told the convention
can't be held away from the west more often. AERC needs that profit, and the
eastern conventions (even sans ice storms) only made about $10,000 profit.

Whatever is decided, please give the membership & vendors time to discuss
these proposals before they become "law". This was not an emergency issue
that had to be decided quickly.

Nancy Mitts
Central Region rider,
Custom Iron Workers, Inc., advertiser