Re: Your type discussions

In a message dated 12/17/99 3:24:15 AM Pacific Standard Time,
cocoastar@juno.com writes:

<< Well, I for one, unsubscribed from Ridecamp for several months because
 of lack of content relevent to endurance riding.  The nutrition/ride fuel
 discussion is very interesting and is cutting-edge stuff in the endurance

 horse world.  So, I see keep it up!

 Dave Bennett >>

There is some difficulty with discussions like this. Some listers, like Roger
Rittenhouse, who is very innovative and is discovering new things virtually
on a daily basis, get roundly criticized by the traditionalists for any new
explorations and thus prefer to keep their knowledge to themselves. This is
too bad, because their input is extremely valuable, at least to me.

I've been at war with the hidebound for nearly three decades, so I no longer
have any fears about public criticism, but it's too bad when we lose solid
input after kneejerk and uninformed warnings of dire consequences when
attempting to do anything difference than the self-appointed protectors of
the past weigh in with their jargon and a dozen initials strung after their
names. That's one of the reasons why I like to throw a few spitballs now and
again.

As far as I'm concerned, the only credentials needed for anyone offering an
opinion here is well-documented (what happened and what were the variables
observed) experience. It has been my experience that the more authoritative
the credentials, the less trustworthy (biased) the observations. The
exception, so far, in this group is Beth--whose credentials are from the
world of human sport and whose scientific curiosity about horses is still
alive and well.

There is only one rule that holds up throughout all scientific discussion:
Never say "never".

ti