Comparisons on Trucks (Long) - I had some free time today :-)

I had some time on my hands today, and I searched the web for truck
comparisons and I lumped it
all into one message.  This message does a comparison on Ford, Dodge and
Chevey.  I compared
the Heavy Duty - Super Cabs 4 wheel drive model.  I compared Performance
Data, Specs, Interior
Exterior etc.. and I included some other small facts about all I could
find.  I just thought it would be nice
to see side by side comparisons

I also read allot of consumer message boards today on all 3 trucks.  What
the people complained about
was different for each truck.  The Ford, the complaint was Gas Mileage,
this truck seems to be the worst in
good gas mileage.  The Dodge, the complaint was Performance, and how it
breaks down allot, and Chevy,
I could not find much complaints, but it didn't seem like the Chevy was
being used as a work truck, the
Chevy has the best ride (it rides like a car) and it is nice inside etc..

Enjoy (sorry this is long, but it thought it might help some of you)

Ford 2000 F-350 XLT 4WD SD SuperCab SB

FORD Performance Data

Acceleration (0-60 mph): NA
Braking Distance (60-0 mph): NA
Roadholding Index: NA
Base Number of Cylinders: 8
Base Engine Size: 5.4 liters
Base Engine Type: V8
Horsepower: 260 hp @ 4500 rpm
Torque: 350 ft-lbs. @ 2500 rpm
Maximum Cargo Capacity: 65 cu.ft.
Maximum Payload: 4700 lbs.
Maximum Towing Capacity: 8700 lbs.

DODGE 2000 3500 4WD Cre Cab Performance Data

Acceleration (0-60 mph): NA
Braking Distance (60-0 mph): NA
Roadholding Index: NA
Base Number of Cylinders: 8
Base Engine Size: 5.9 liters
Base Engine Type: V8
Horsepower: 245 hp @ 4000 rpm
Torque: 345 ft-lbs. @ 3200 rpm
Maximum Cargo Capacity: 72 cu.ft.
Maximum Payload: 4820 lbs.
Maximum Towing Capacity: 8600 lbs.

CHEVY 2000 Chevrolet K3500 Base 4WD Crew Cab HD SB

Performance Data

Acceleration (0-60 mph): NA
Braking Distance (60-0 mph): NA
Roadholding Index: NA
Base Number of Cylinders: 8
Base Engine Size: 7.4 liters
Base Engine Type: V8
Horsepower: 290 hp @ 4000 rpm
Torque: 410 ft-lbs. @ 3200 rpm
Maximum Cargo Capacity: 56 cu.ft.
Maximum Payload: 2239 lbs.
Maximum Towing Capacity: 10000 lbs.

FORD Safety Features

Four-Wheel Anti-Lock Brakes: Optional
De-powered Air Bag: Unknown
Passenger Air Bag: Optional
Side Air Bag: Not Available
Integrated Child Seat: Not Available
Traction Control: Not Available

DODGE Safety Features

Four-Wheel Anti-Lock Brakes: Unknown
De-powered Air Bag: Unknown
Passenger Air Bag: Standard
Side Air Bag: Not Available
Integrated Child Seat: Not Available
Traction Control: Not Available

CHEVY Safety Features

Four-Wheel Anti-Lock Brakes: Unknown
De-powered Air Bag: Unknown
Passenger Air Bag: Not Available
Side Air Bag: Not Available
Integrated Child Seat: Not Available
Traction Control: Not Available

FORD Dimensions

Exterior:

Length: 227 in.
Width: 80 in.
Height: 80.4 in.
Weight: 5645 lbs.
Wheelbase: 141.8 in.
Turning Circle: 52 ft.
Ground Clearance: 8.3 in.

DODGE Dimensions

Exterior:

Length: 244.1 in.
Width: 93.8 in.
Height: 77 in.
Weight: 6215 lbs.
Wheelbase: 154.7 in.
Turning Circle: 52.4 ft.
Ground Clearance: 8.1 in.

Dimensions

CHEVY 2000 Chevrolet K3500 Base 4WD Crew Cab HD SB
Exterior:

Length: 231.9 in.
Width: 76.8 in.
Height: 94.3 in.
Weight: 5893 lbs.
Wheelbase: 154.5 in.
Turning Circle: 55.8 ft.
Ground Clearance: 6.4 in.

FORD Interior:

Front Headroom: 41.4 in.
Rear Headroom: 38.5 in.
Front Leg Room: 40.7 in.
Rear Leg Room: 32.4 in.
Maximum Seating: 6

DODGE Interior:

Front Headroom: 40.2 in.
Rear Headroom: 39.4 in.
Front Leg Room: 41 in.
Rear Leg Room: 33.2 in.
Maximum Seating: 6

CHEVY Interior:

Front Headroom: 39.9 in.
Rear Headroom: 40.8 in.
Front Leg Room: 41.7 in.
Rear Leg Room: 37.9 in.
Maximum Seating: 6

FORD TRUCKS

The Super Duty trucks are built on a separate platform than the smaller
F-150.
The line of trucks comes in 44 different configurations, many of which are
unique
to the truck market.

DODGE TRUCKS

The Ram comes in Regular, Club, and Quad Cab half-, three-quarter- and
one-ton
configurations, and all are equipped with Magnum power, be it modest or
mammoth.
There's a practical-and-it-feels-that-way 3.9-liter V6 that makes 175
horsepower,
and at the other extreme, heavy-duty 2500 and 3500 pickups

fORD ENGIN AND POWER

Ford Super Duty trucks are powered by a Triton 5.4-liter V8 or a 6.8-liter
V10.
The V8 generates 260 horsepower at 4,500 rpm and 350 foot-pounds of torque
at 2,500
rpm. The V10 generates 275 horsepower at 4,250 rpm and 410 foot-pounds of
torque at
2,650 rpm. A 7.3-liter diesel V8 is also available, and it makes 235
horsepower at
2,700 rpm and 500 foot-pounds of torque at 1,600 rpm.

DODGE ENGIN AND POWER

8.0-liter V10, good for 310 horsepower (305 for California). Tucked in
between for
good measure is a 245-horse 5.9-liter V8 and a 5.2-liter V8 worth 230
horsepower.
A macho 5.9-liter 24-valve inline-six turbodiesel is available if you like
loads of
torque (450 foot-pounds), low-maintenance, and the overly loud purr of a
diesel, plus
have about an extra five grand to spend.

FORD CABS AND INSIDES

Ford F-Super Duty models are available in Regular Cab, four-door SuperCab,
and Crew
Cab. The overall look is much more aggressive than the standard F-150, and
its bigger
dimensions allow Ford to use larger cabs without compromising load space.
Given their
size, the F-250 and F-350 Super Duty trucks maintain a confident on- and
off-road feel.
They feature updated power steering systems and enhanced suspension
components to improve
vehicle ride, handling, responsiveness, and maneuverability. Just don't
mistake them for
a car. Unlike the F-150, Dodge Ram and Chevy Silverado (all of which have
become much
more comfortable and user-friendly these past few years) , the Super Duty
vehicles are
true trucks. They ride harshly when unloaded and 4x4 trucks come only with
manually
locking hubs. These manual hubs (along with the solid front and rear axles)
 do give the
Super Duty trucks improved off-road capabilities, however.

Inside, the roomy cabs have larger, more comfortable seats and greater
seat-track travel.
In addition, there are many interior convenience features designed for
today's stylish
business owners. For example, a fold-down armrest and utility bin is
designed to house a
portable fax machine or laptop computer. In the Crew Cab XLT and Lariat
models, a new rear
bench seat incorporates a fold-down armrest and a cupholder. For truck
owners who don't want
to skimp on luxury, leather seating, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, air
conditioning and
power windows are just some of the many options available.

The F-Super Duty series isn't for everyone. However, if you need more truck
 than the regular
F-Series can provide, Ford has quite an impressive lineup to peruse.

DODGE CABS AND INSIDES

Automatic-transmission shifts are firm, but not harsh, and the
column-mounted shifter operates
easily. The manual transmissions are simple to shift and the gates are
perfectly spaced. The
half-ton's manual tranny is a five-speed with overdrive, while the
three-quarter and 1-ton
reap the rewards of a much beefier transmission that has a granny-low first
 gear for getting
going while hauling a heavy load. Although it's a bulky vehicle, the Ram is
 surprisingly agile
and reasonably surefooted, but think twice before making any quick
maneuvers. Ride and handling
are so competent you almost forget you're in a full-size pickup, except if
you're in an
unloaded 3/4-or 1-ton, in which case you'll be reminded over every bump in
the road.

Yes, it's a full-size truck, but it does extremely well on trails and other
 off-road
excursions. Dodge is well aware of the Ram's capabilities and this year
introduces the Ram
Off-Road 4x4. Regular and Quad Cab short-bed 1500 four-wheel drives can
take advantage of
this off-road package that includes heavier-duty equipment, such as a
limited slip, a
recalibrated suspension for extra ground clearance, all-terrain tires, and
steering gear
designed for low speeds.

An all-new platform and redesign is likely for 2002, and Dodge is again
hoping to build
another talk of both the town and the competition.

Consumer Coments on Dodge's (note: I could not find any coments like this
about Ford
or Chevey - but I found endless complaintes about the Dodge.

Since the newer version of the Cummins diesel has been marketed by Dodge
there have been
increased transmission problems. I believe that the torque increase is now
starting to show
and failures of components and transmissions will continue to escalate
proportionate to the i
ncrease in torque. Dodge was talking to the Allison folks about using the
new Allison 1000
series automatic transmission. I don't know if they have reached agreement
yet. I would suggest
speaking with an independent auto-transmission shop and getting their
technicians advise about
aftermarket modifications which seem to cure the problems you describe.