Circling and cues

Before the "circling" thread disappeared completely (I've been pretty
busy), I wanted to make a comment on the cues used for the circling.  And I
*do* use circling a lot with rambunctious/green horses to take their mind
off of their silliness and get it back to me.  How it's done, however, it
of utmost importance.  ;-)  There have been some very good comments...I'd
like to add to what's been posted.

First of all, learn to become aware of your seatbones individually.  By
sitting your seatbone down harder on one side, you encourage the horse to
turn that direction.  I haven't actually read a physiological description
of why this happens, but this is what I think...some of you body mechanics
pros feel free to jump in here. <g>  A horse responds to pressure by
pushing back.  When you shift your weight to one seatbone, you are pushing
down against the muscle running along the spine...the horse responds by
pushing back which causes him to contract the muscles on the side and
abdomen on that side of his body, thus aiding in the turn that direction.

Combine this now with a turning of your shoulders, torso, and (very
important) your head in the direction of the turn.  *Do not* look down or
drop your hand or your shoulder when you turn.  Look over your shoulder
more for a tighter turn...for any turn, actually, look at least 1/4 of the
way around the circle.  Avoid the temptation to look at the horse's head or
the ground directly by you or your reins.  This will only *help* you DROP
that shoulder which will throw the horse off balance, cause him lean
towards the inside, and allow the energies to escape out that outside
shoulder.  When you turn your torso, you shift the forward-backward
position of your seat bones, your weight, and your legs.  (This is in
addition to sinking your weight into that inside seatbone.)  Since you
ideally keep the upper part of your arms in the same relative position to
your torso, your inside hand will come back the distance that the inside
shoulder turns back.  The outside hand, in turn, comes forward the same
distance.  In essence, your body should turn the amount that you expect the
horse to turn...match up your shoulders with his.

Your outside rein should remain steady (direct reining) and holding,
keeping consistent weight in your hand (consistent weight, NOT a locked in
position relative to the saddle)...this helps eliminate the energy escape
out that shoulder.  Your inside rein should be in consistent contact with a
give and take on the rein...eg, you don't ever want to pull back with a
constant pull because it causes the horse to lean against your pull and
tighten that inside jaw and neck muscle...and your squeeze and relax should
be a tightening of the rein and a relaxing, but still with contact!  Don't
go tight, then loopy, then tight, then loopy and so on...it bangs the bit
against the horse bars and will cause him to throw his head up to escape
the pain.  Treat the rein as if it's a giant sponge that you rhythmically
squeeze and relax as you bring your shoulder/arm/hand/rein back.  This
causes the horse to give his inside muscles (jaw and neck) to you.  When he
doesn't have something firm to pull against, he can't tighten those muscles
as well.

Your inside leg should be against his side near the girth (be that pole
you'd like him to turn around ;-)), frequently cueing with an on-and-off
cue (toes up, heels down so that your calf muscle is tight and will have
more of an impression when you cue.  Cueing with your heels up makes your
calf mushy and you might as well cue him with a pillow. <g>)  Your outside
leg should be slightly behind the girth to hold his haunches from swinging
out...however, you may have to move it up towards the shoulder briefly to
aid in your turn.

Brief recap:  Sit tall...don't drop the inside of your body (ear, shoulder,
rib cage -- check that the organ pairs stay level <g>) when you turn your
torso, stay relaxed, turn your whole body and LOOK around that circle.
Give and take on the inside rein and leg and contain the energy from that
inside leg with a steady outside rein.  If you find the circle getting too
tight, step a little weight into that outside stirrup, sit slightly lighter
on that inside seat bone, and straighten your body a bit.  Also, if you
have trouble getting one side of your seatbones down on the saddle (I have
left-handed seat bones <g>), try *lifting* the other one!  It works.

Also, be very cautious about the amount of tight circling you do with
horses that are young or not in good condition yet since a lot of circling
is pretty stressful on their legs.  If it works, you shouldn't have to do
it often before they get the message.

Another quick point here...do some "correct as possible" larger circles
when you're warming up so that you warm up and stretch those lateral
muscles.  You'll find the horse easier to turn and more fun to slalom thru
those trees. ;-)

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm