Re: Rock (Was NATRC shoeing rules)

Nancy,
I too have ridden lots of "Rocky" places, but the rocks were worn smooth
or large and dispursed enough to miss. The rocks here on the Ozarks
trails are predominantly golf ball to baseball size, but not necessarily
round. With edges broken off SHARP. I don't pad my horses till I start
competing on them regularly, usually 50 miles or farther. But I had a
rider at the ride I manage who's horses SOLE was punctured by a small
knifelike chunk of rock. Good horse with good tuff feet. You just can't
avoid them all unless you're prepared to walk most of a ride. If you
have to endurance in places like this, it is wise to pad for these
trails if you care about your horse.
Nancy Mitts

>Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 20:23:08 -0800
>To: "Nancy Mitts" <mitts_n@hotmail.com>
>From: Nancy DuPont <htrails@earthlink.net>
>Subject: Re: NATRC shoeing rules
>Cc: ridecamp@endurance.net
>
>A couple of other posts tonight suggested that we can help by watching
>where we are going - that is a true partnership!
>
>I have ridden all my life in the mountains. I condition on Mt. Diablo,
>rocky terrain with narrow trails up to 4000 ft elevation.  I ride NATRC
and
>pleasure ride ten days in a row in the Sierra Nevada and Yosemite (The
>rockiest toughest trails anywhere!). My Arabian gelding is now 19 years
>old. Never padded. Always sound. I rode from Nogales on the Mexican
Border
>to San Francisco. 1500 miles and in 52 days.  He was perfectly sound.
No