Re: mystery beet pulp weight gain (long)

Hi all -
Thought some might be interested in the results of my survey.  Here's
the original post.  A digest of responses follows.  The only thing I'd
add to this now is that there is some molasses in the beet pulp per the
bag label.  I've since actually weighed the beet pulp feeding, and it
turns out I'm only feeding them about 1-1/2 lbs a day . . .

> dave & abby bloxsom wrote:
>
> LAST WINTER, I had 3 idle adult horses of various breeds living together
> in one paddock with a run-in shed. I fed 1/2 bale good Timothy/Orchard
> grass hay per horse per day, split into 2 feedings.  I also fed a 10%
> commercial sweet feed, 2 lg cans per feeding.  Feeding time was a
> frenzy, and they wolfed everything down in a matter of hours.  The
> horses held their weight all winter, although one was borderline & one
> was fat.
>
> THIS WINTER, I've divided them up.  One horse is in a new paddock (with
> a new friend) with no shelter whatsoever (she's a Welsh Cob, never even
> notices the weather unless it rains).  The other 2 are still in the
> original paddock.  After following this winter's Ridecamp discussions,
> I've revised my feeding plan a bit.  I'm still feeding the same amount
> of the same quality hay - 20-25# per horse per day, but I throw a day's
> worth out at (my) bedtime, once a day.  They're usually done with it in
> about 20 hours.  They snooze, wander, and hoover crumbs for the next
> couple hours.  At the other feeding, 16 hours or so after the hay (hay
> still isn't finished), I give them soaked shredded beet pulp.  I'll
> probably end up adding a vit/min supplement to that based on the results
> of my hay analysis, but for the time being that's it - no oil, no
> grain.  The dry volume of shredded beet pulp is actually about 75% of
> the dry volume of grain I was feeding, and because beet pulp is lighter,
> it's actually MUCH less by weight, dry.  All 3 are in excellent flesh,
> neither fat nor thin.  Feeding time is easy, no rushing, no jamming
> noses in the pails, no pushing, no fighting.
>
> I presume the attitude changes relate to the fact that there's really no
> "treat" involved - the Salad Phenomenon.  The big question is this - if
> I'm feeding so much less feed by weight, and DE is actually WAY down
> because the beet pulp is less energy dense than grain, why are they
> doing so well?  Water supply/intake hasn't changed, and weather has been
> equivalent.  Keep in mind one horse who used to have shelter is now
> completely exposed to the elements.
>
> Now I'm not complaining - don't get me wrong - I'm just wondering how
> many different explanations for this can I collect?

1) My guess would be that it's related to digestibility and feed
efficiency---feed efficiency is going to decrease when horses wolf down
their meals, and the grain especially probably mostly by-passed the
small intestine and went on to microbial fermentation in the hindgut.

With your change in feeding program, they're more relaxed about taking
their time over their meal and overall feed efficiency is probably
higher, so they're getting a relatively larger proportion of nutrients
from their food.

In any case, the majority of their caloric intake wasn't/isn't coming
from the grain or beet pulp, it's coming from all that hay.  So the
daily intake Mcal *is* different, but not hugely different.

Susan G

2) I used to feed some of the horses here on 12% sweet feed.  They were
hyper, especially at feeding time.  Several were hard keepers.  Enter a
vet student with a slightly heave-y horse.  She did the research and we
started her mare on a *complete* pelleted feed (Blue Seal Trotter).  The
mare bloomed !! I was sold.  Switched all the hyper guys to Trotter.
Now they're more or less mellow and keeping better. they get the same
hay as your guys get. I do feed some cracked corn in the winter.

The other thing you changed was the social grouping, and I would not
discount that as part of the solution.  In a situation where there are
constant skirmishes, no matter how mild, there is bound to be a stress
componant.  Sounds like you solved that.

When there is bad weather I will sometimes throw out double rations.  I
have noticed that the horses are more content the next feeding time and
some will hardly even come over for the new hay.  So I find what you say
about the hay being around for 20 or so hours really interesting.  I
think I'll do some experimenting....

Marie McRae

3) I think the difference you are seeing in your horse's attitude may be
due not feeding the commercial sweet feed.  I have an arab mare that
is difficult to keep weight on in the winter.  When I first purchased
her, nearly six years ago, she had been on a high grain ration, which
included sweet feed.  Although turned out daily, she would stall walk
when inside, and was always on edge.....I likened it to how I used
feel when I drank too much coffee.  The first fall when cold weather
hit, she started to drop weight rapidly.  The facility where I boarded
her at that time refused to increase her hay (but did suggest I increase
her grain....grain was not included in the board fee).  I knew that
would not help so I called my vet, who suggested beet pulp & oil.  Her
winter weight has always been good since I started using the beet pulp.

Along the way, I discontinued the sweet feed (she now gets 2 cups oats
& 2 cups corn during the winter when she isn't being ridden)  and her
attitude improved remarkably...very little stall walking (storms,
ect.)  I have since read, in Equus, I think, and here on RideCamp,
that some horses react to the molasses in the sweet feed.  Glad your
horses are doing well.

Judy Finchum

THANKS A LOT GUYS . . .
-Abby