TB falling & Colic

Sorry I don't know who wrote this about the Thoroughbred that falls over.  I
had a Thoroughbred that did the same.  He would fall over when the farrier
did his feet, in the stable, in the yard, wherever.  Apparently this was due
to him not being able to lock his knee caps when he relaxed.  While the
farrier did his feet the rasping motion relaxed him so much he'd fall
asleep, so I would have to feed him while he was getting his feet done or
stand there and feed him little treats to keep him alert.  He used to sleep
lying down because of this.

This same horse had a constant colic problem, he colicked so often that he
caused himself to have founder.  We stopped this by feeding him 60ml of
acidolphis yoghurt every day.  This helps the stomach flora.  While eating
oaten hay some horse can't relieve the gases and this helps create the
balance.  They might have been eating it all of their life but something
changes and they can't any more.  Cut back on the oaten hay a little.  Can
you give Lucerne chaff instead?

Donna P.
www.horseconnect.com.au
donna@webexpress.net.au