Re: NATRC Shoe Rules Lifted

Thanks for the post, Susan, I appreciate your comments. I shared them with
the founder of NATRC and after much editing, am passing this on.  (His
reaction, of course, to this new rule was something like Rumpelstilskin
when he couldn't find the gold!)

One thing I want to clarify, you said:
"average rider picking out a well conformed generic type horse -- CTR is
somewhat specialized and sometimes as a backyard owner it is hard to
compete against the breeders who do it for a living. "

Those who formed NATRC such as George Cardinet, a candy maker, Brigadeer
General Wayne O. Kester, a veterinary for the US Airforce, George Cardinet,
III a veterinary and Dean of U C Davis and two other doctors, were not big
time breeders.  They were concerned more that we bred--and rode sound
animals. This was in the 50's and 60's when the quality of horses was down.
We are once again finding it hard to find sound animals to buy, as many of
the posts in this RideCamp point out.

The very demand on these horses require ultimate soundness. Ridecampers are
correct in shopping and checking out legs and feet before purchase. To heck
with what the seller thinks! But to ride, for instance, ( I quote George
Cardinet, SR., one of the founders) "with easyboots, softens the hoof and
makes the horse susceptible to bruising."

So I hang in there and support NATRC as a way to better our riding,
condition our horses and prepare, as you say, for Endurance.

Thanks again for the post.