Re: Applegate Lassen

Hi Karen ... Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!
No, we're not going to have A-L this year.  Something quite unique has come
up and we're going to take advantage of it while we can. We're going on a
3-week study-tour of China, particularly a cruise up the Yangtze River to see
the construction site of the Three Gorges Dam. When it is completed and the
river starts to fill it in 2003, it will create a lake 550 feet deep and 420
miles long. It will be the largest dam ever created in the history of the
world and will have the largest locks and elevator (to raise ships up to the
lake and return). It is imperative to see the Three Gorges soon, as they will
be inundated within a few years. This trip is being guided by a local college
history instructor whom we have known casually for many years.  His expertise
is Chinese history and this trip will feature the history, culture, religion,
and literature of the Chinese people.  You know how Lud & I love history
(it's the history that keeps us so enthralled with the A-L Trail). Also on
the itinerary is a tour to see the Terracotta Army.  There are excellent
articles in recent issues of National Geographic magazines on both the Three
Gorges and the Terracotta Army.
The trip begins June 1st, the very last day of the A-L ride, as we had
planned to conduct it this year, and finishes June 20th, unless we can
encourage the tour director to extend the trip about 3 days and do a side
trip to the Great Wall and the Forbidden City. (Keeping our fingers crossed
that there will be at least 10 people to sign up for the extension).
This opportunity came up quite suddenly and since Lud expressed interest, I
seized the chance and RAN with it. (Lud has been known to be a dedicated
stay-at-home, and I've been dying to travel for the past 50 years).
Castle Rock 30-50 will be on May 20th and Swanton Pacific 100 will be on
August 12th, if you can join us for either. We almost were going to abandon
A-L because of the disappointing entries last year (5), but then thought we
would give it one more try.  Then came China ....  Perhaps we'll try A-L
again next year.
Thanks for your inquiry.

Barbara