Re: RC: Accident

A gate latch portruding from a barn door gouged the eye out of my beautiful
Arabian mare.  Beware.

At 09:25 PM 12/4/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Today I went out to get my stallion Saber from his padock as I was going to
pony him from my gelding Jay on a training ride.  As I went to halter him I
noticed he had a fairly significant (at least to me) gouge/puncture wound
right at his windpipe/jaw.  He is fine, a nasty wound, but it will heal fine
and he's eating happily and doing fine.

>What really scared me about the injury is that he could have easily
puntured his main artery and instead of having the wound that he has, he
could just have bled to death.  I looked around the paddock  carefully to
find what it was that he could have done this on.  I was expecting to find
some sharp object, some protruding something but what I found would have
never occured to me as dangerous.  Apparently he positioned his head
through the gate panels (which by the way are quite close together, not sure
how he did this) and when he went to pull his head out he caught his jaw on
the hook like piece that holds the chain on the gate.  I never imagined that
the (metal) gates could be dangerous in this way.  Most of the farm gates
that are sold around here, come with a this chain/hook combination standard.
In fact all of our farm gates have this type of closure.

>Needless to say my husband spent the day sawing off these hooks from the
gate frames and replacing them with an alternative closure.

>Just wanted to share my experience so that other's perhaps can avoid this
injury.

>Dawna
><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
><HTML>
><HEAD>
>
><META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>
><META content='"MSHTML 4.72.3110.7"' name=GENERATOR>
></HEAD>
><BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
><DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=2>Today I went out to get my stallion Saber from his padock
as I
>was going to pony him from my gelding Jay on a training ride.&nbsp; As I
went to
>halter him I noticed he had a fairly significant (at least to me)
gouge/puncture
>wound right at his windpipe/jaw.&nbsp; He is fine, a nasty wound, but it will
>heal fine and he's eating happily and doing fine.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=2>What really scared me about the injury is that he could have
>easily puntured his main artery and instead of having the wound that he
has, he
>could just have bled to death.&nbsp; I looked around the paddock&nbsp;
carefully
>to find what it was that he could have done this on.&nbsp; </FONT><FONT
size=2>I
>was expecting to find some sharp object, some protruding something but what I
>found would have never occured to me as dangerous.&nbsp; Apparently he
>positioned his head&nbsp; through the gate panels (which by the way are quite
>close together, not sure how he did this) and when he went to pull his head
out
>he caught his jaw on the hook like piece that holds the chain on the
gate.&nbsp;
>I never imagined that the (metal) gates could be dangerous in this way.&nbsp;
>Most of the farm gates that are sold around here, come with a this chain/hook
>combination standard.&nbsp; In fact all of our farm gates have this type of
>closure.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=2>Needless to say my husband spent the day sawing off these
>hooks from the gate frames and replacing them with an alternative
>closure.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=2>Just wanted to share my experience so that other's
perhaps can
>avoid this injury.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=2>Dawna</FONT></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

Nancy DuPont, Executive Director
Heritage Trails
1350 Castle Rock Road
Walnut Creek, CA 94598

Our Mission: To preserve and protect trails and answer the question, "Where
are you going to ride your horses, and where are you going to keep them."
Telephone (925)937-7661 FAX (925) 943-7431