Re: Re: Stableizer

OK...I have been kinda busy so not posting lengthy replies lately...I will
keep this short.  We have used the stableizer on occasion.  Sometimes it
works wonderfully, sometimes it doesn't.  Depends on the horse.  It is
certainly worth a try if it'll work.  If it doesn't, then we try something
else, always looking for the path of least resistance.  We want the horse
to have a positive experience.  We also want to be safe.  If we can't have
both, the tools go back into the truck.  One guy we went to do who had
mustangs he had not been handling, did not understand why we didn't get in
there and FORCE them to stand and be trimmed.  He/we couldn't even catch
the buggers!!  When the mare (pretending to be friendly and walking up to
us, ears pricked forward and smelling us) struck out and hit Nelson on the
wrist, we left.  We won't go back.  Even if he did get tranquilizers, you
can't tranq 'em if you can't catch 'em.  Anyway, as far as the ear twitch
goes...a client we have recently started doing this with his
yearlings...don't like it but it seemed to do the job.  When you have 20-30
to get done, you can't spend forever on one.  The girls who work for him
have these ones pinpointed for more training, which is as it should be.
The farrier should not have to do the training unless you are willing to
pay for his extra time and we do charge extra for horses that take
excessive amounts of time to trim or shoe because they have not been
trained to stand.  We have one now that we go every few weeks, play with
him, pick up his feet and do whatever he will allow.  The owner is happy to
pay us for the help and the horse has progressed from a terror of farriers
(literally running at the sight of the apron and tools) to allowing his
front feet to be done.  Anyway, just my 2 cents and I gotta run!

Maggie Mieske
Mieske's Silver Lining
McBain, Michigan
http://www.netonecom.net/~mmieske