Re: RC: Oooooooops

To Pat from Oregon:  Dear Pat, what a wonderful message!!!   Perhaps had we a
few more people of your generous and forgiving heart, and broadly inclusive
outlook, we could begin to heal the many divisions between people in this
country and in the world.  We are all part of the human family, and, as you
say, on this list, whatever our differences, we share a devotion to that most
marvelous of animals, the horse.  I agree with you that when we hear someone
make a racist remark, we need to speak out, and let them know this is
hurtful, and not acceptable!  Apparently Howard alerted himself, and I think
that's commendable!  I believe that sometimes good people make racist remarks
without really realizing the ugly nature of what they just said.

To Howard:  As someone who has also found herself at times with my own foot
deeply imbedded in my mouth; my sympathies!   You didn't mean what you said,
I know that.   When you found out you did the wrong thing, you then did the
right thing, and apologized.  I know you were sincere!   I don't have to say
"that wasn't very nice," because you already know that!  You didn't mean it
the way it came out, I'm sure (as your apology shows!) . . .you were trying
to be funny and your intent was harmless, and it's the intent behind an
action which should be counted most.  Please don't listen to those rock
throwers among us who have told you to remove yourself or shut up!!!
Everyone makes mistakes . . . how terrible if we had to withdraw from society
every time we proved ourselves human!  I love your posts.  Hang in there.  Go
hug your horse . . .that usually helps me feel better!

To the rock throwers:  have you never made a mistake?  Can't you tell Howard
feels badly?  Is it your intent to make him feel even worse?  What is served
by that?  Nothing good, that I can see.  I worry about people who would
punish quicker than they would forgive.

<< Howard, I have read your posts and laughed at and with you. I hope you are
able to extricate your foot which is this time deeply imbedded in your mouth.
I always wonder not that people hold really racist or narrow minded
 views (that's unfortunately a fact of life in our sadly unenlightened
culture) but that seemingly reasonably intelligent persons would express
these views to people they cannot be sure hold their views and even worse
 might be certain to censure them and probably think less of them for having
expressed those views. Well, ride camp is, like most eclectic collections of
people merely a reflection of the larger society. Comments like yours gives
us all a chance to reflect and see the world as it really is and not as we
would ideally want to believe it is especially since we all share the love of
our most wonderful of creatures, the horse. I do think that it's important to
publicly let people who make such remarks know that it certainly is NOT
acceptable nor tolerable behavior. As someone of African American heritage, I
have had to live with such comments and a whole lot worse. It rolls off my
back and doesn't cause me to even pause. I know that it is just a reflection
of a limited exposure to good people. Being of good will, I am hopeful  that
you will take  a sincere look at what you remarked and the deeper
implications and hopefully it will be an embarrassing but positive chance for
you to re-examine how you view all people.
 Pat in Ashland, Oregon >>

Trish & pretty David
Grand Blanc, Michigan