Re: RC: Stirrups

> Anyone care to recommend their favorites?

I'll be happy to recommend my *new* favorites -- the plastic EZRides. I
went through the Great Stirrup Hunt as I was going through the Great
Saddle Hunt, and I believe (and HOPE) I've finished them both. <BG>

I loved my aluminum EZRides at first, but they made my ankles sore after
20 miles or so, which I decided was because they were kinda heavy, and my
weak ankles got tired of trying to keep them turned out properly (I'm
seriously duck-footed so my toes stick way out to the side).

So I tried FlexRides, which are very lightweight and much smaller (and
hurt less when they bang your knees as you're carrying your saddle
around), and I really liked them while I wore my Blundstone paddock boots
to ride, but when I switched to the Goretex-lined hiking boots which I
absolutely adore, the FlexRides were only barely big enough for my boots
to fit into, which (1) worried me from a security standpoint, and (2) made
it very hard to get my feet back in the stirrups after taking them out for
a leg-stretching break.  I had to use my crop to hold the stirrup in place
while I shoved my boot in. So when I switched from carrying a crop to
using a rommel attachment on my reins, I could no longer get my feet back
in my stirrups without bending over to hold them in my hands! LOL  (Is
anyone bored yet?)

So then EZRide came out with the plastic stirrups.  I immediately made my
training partner buy a pair (he needed new stirrups anyway :)) and he
liked 'em.  I rode his saddle a few times and liked 'em too, so I got
myself a pair and I love 'em.  I haven't done a 50 in them yet (give me 3
weeks 'til Goethe) but I've done some long training rides and had no ankle
soreness and no other soreness.

I've never used the Trail Tech stirrups, because the bottom part is too
narrow -- I like a broader base under my foot.  However, those new Ultra
stirrups (Trail Tech top and EZride bottom) look really interesting.  I
don't know anyone who has actually used them.  My only fear would be that
bounce at the top and bottom of the stirrups would be too much bounce.
Anyone tried them yet?

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL
AERC # M18819 & H27310