New horse

So far my new gelding is so good it's really scary. He'd been in the desert
before but not the same kind of creatures in it as here, and most of his
time had been spent in a relatively quiet stableyard. The first time I rode
him we had about 40 little kids from a school near the club over playing on
the swings and teeter-totters and soccer field that are (of course!) right
next to the grass where we were riding. He'd never seen such short people
before and they were screaming and running back and forth kicking a ball.
The most we got was a modest shy, but he REALLY looked hard. The sudden
start up of a drill or band saw or something from the construction site next
door got a more dramatic reaction, but again it was over in seconds. In the
desert we've ridden over plastic and old cardboard boxes, next to dead dogs
(Smelly!!) and through packs of live ones.  No reaction. His trot goes on
forever and his canter is also lovely. One problem is that the Stubben that
fit Dorika doesn't fit him, so I ride him in the Crosby. Not as comfy, but
better for my riding skills as I really have to work harder with it.  I'm
not rushing out to buy a new saddle as I don't think we have seen his real
shape yet and the Crosby seems to be ok.

On the social side, he's also a gem. We turn him out with my boys
(stallion/colts 2 yrs and 9 months) and he plays a bit but mostly lets them
act like fools without getting annoyed. And when he does think they've
crossed a line, he does the proper warnings verbally and so on rather than
kicking. He's also been turned out with mares and fillies with the same
result....so he gets to spend a lot of time in the paddock as he gets along
with everyone. A definite plus.

The grooms, however, have renamed him Bilya, which means a small, shiny
marble or a clever little boy...actually quite suits him.
We're still waiting for a clinker.

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
gabbani@starnet.com.eg