Equi-Thane hoof pack

>Karen Gehringer mgehringer@dmenet.com
>Is anyone familiar with Equi-pak (horseshoes.com/equithane)?  Does it work?  Could it be an alternative to >easy boots?  Thanks.

>Karen

   Lucy had a web page of Tevis with some pictures and descriptions of our use of Equi-thane hoof pack at that ride and prior rides.
I think you can find that under the tevis web pages, 1999 race coverage and lucy's reports.
   We just used the material again inside steel shoes at Silver State.  That was a 3 day ROCKY ride, 50 honest miles per day (they bought a GPS !!! darn ) and I was pleased with the performance.  It lasted all 3 days, 150 miles, in Lancelot, on both front feet. It lasted 100 miles in JD's front feet.  I used easy boots, foamed on for Smoke's 3 days.
    I have learned how to apply it after some trial and error and I am happy with it as an alternative to pads or easyboots for certain horses.
    The advantages are: application by the rider at a ride, no sand or dirt can work under it, it provides excellent rock protection, it does not extend the toe, heel or sides of the feet.

     The disadvantages are cost: about $10.00 per foot, the foot must be dry and the task of cleaning the foot.  I am pretty fast and good at cleaning the foot now, but it is tiring to hold the foot while you scrape, abrate and wire bush the sole out and carefully clean under the shoe.  Actual application is very easy except you must learn to hold the foot level so the material flows evenly and smoothly.
   Enough for now, write me with specifics if you have any more questions.

Jim Mitchell

 It also lasted for the 50 miles at Sunland on 3 horses a few weeks ago.