Broken coffin bone recovery

J. Schumacher macher40@execpc.com
Dear RideCamp:
I am looking for an opinion (from what I have seen on this message
board I think I have come to the right spot *lol*).  Last year my 2 year old
Arab gelding broke his left hind coffin bone in a freak pasture accident.
It was a vertical fracture that literal split his coffin bone into
two equal halves (saggital) fracture that involved the coffin joint.  He was on
complete stall rest for six months and was shod with an egg-bar shoe on that
foot.  After x-rays determined that the fracture was healed, the shoe was
pulled and he was turned out to pasture just to grow up and heal mentally.
His feet have been trimmed every 6-8 weeks with the other horses.  The foot is
still slightly misshapened but after the last trimming is starting to look
the uninjured foot in size and shape. He has no sign of lameness. He is now 3.5 years old
and I am starting to work with him in preparation for saddle-training. He has an excellent mind and is a gifted athlete.  Not many
people in my area have seen an injury like this.  He was the first coffin bone
fracture that my vet has ever treated.  I purchased him with the
idea of competing in endurance and dressage with him.  My vet says that
the prognosis is o.k. for pleasure riding.

Has anybody ever experienced this kind of injury with your horse and were you able to bring them back?
Any training suggestions?  After spending so much time together, Bo and I
have bonded and I want to do what is best for him while still trying
to achieve my personal goals.

Any comments or experiences appreciated...  You may reply to me
privately so as not to clutter-up ridecamp.

Thank you.

Julie

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-