Re: RC: Ulcers in horses

My mare was diagnosed with ulcers a few years back.  She had been doing slow
25s and is a very laid back horse.  She was a picky eater on the rides and I
always figured it was her learning curve.  At her 5th 25 mile ride she
stopped dead in her tracks on the trail and tried to lay down.  Classic colic
symptoms, pawing the ground, biting her side and trying to lay down.  I hand
walked her to the vet check where she proceeded to guzzle water and dive into
the hay.  The vets could find nothing wrong with her.  I pulled and brought
her home.  She rested for a week and then on a short training ride she
returned with the same symptoms.  I trailered her to an equine hospital and
they did the dreaded (and expensive) endoscope and there it was.  She was
treated for three weeks with Carafate and Cimetidine and rescoped.   Then
another three weeks of treatment.  She is fine now and has gone on to do more
rides and even graduated to 50s.

We never discovered what caused the ulcer.  She had none of the environmental
factors that would lead you to believe she would be a candidate.  That I know
of she has not had a recurrence.

Needless to say I am very concerned about any horse that is not eating at a
ride.  The vet said that the higher concentration of stomach acid during that
ride is what caused her symptoms.  As she trotted along the acid was
splashing around on the already sore stomach wall and caused her pain and
colic symptoms.  I will let her eat anything just to keep something in her
stomach now.

Sorry this got so long.  Hope it helps.

Lee
Kaci (sure glad my tummy is better)
Boogie (Mom I had enough to eat, really!)
Bravo (you going to finish that?)