Re: Manners/LD riders Hahira

It's all so easy to judge others when we think that we're doing it right, but
are we really?
At my first 25 mile ride I was almost run over by a "pack" of 50milers racing
for top ten. Scatris ("Slim") and I didn't get out of the way fast enough at
a narrow creek crossing and I was shocked about how ruthless these riders
blasted past us. Well, we were about a 1/4 mile from the finish line....
Lesson learned that day: Endurance isn't always just about "finishing". <g>
Almost exactly 2 years later I experienced a similar situation while doing a
50 mile ride, however with a different twist. Things had been going well for
me and Slim that day. The last vet check was 3 miles from the finish and we
had come in with 6 or 7 other riders, while the first 4 or 5 were just
leaving. My horses pulse came down faster than the others and I saw my
chance. I left a couple minutes in front and figured that it would be easy to
finish without a head-to-head race. The footing was good and as soon as we
hit the dirt road I let Slim canter. I came around a corner and saw 2 slow 25
milers riding side by side. While they were still about 80 feet ahead I
called out "On your left". To make a long story short, one rider went to the
left side (which I was planning on taking), the other one was swerving
around, and since I hadn't slowed my horse down in time, Slim had to do a
full stop behind them. I immediatly felt that something went wrong: he was
off in the rear left. The two 25 milers just gave me big looks and kept on
heading down the trail while I was almost crying 'cause I was so angry about
MYSELF for not having been more careful. Anyway, we got lucky after all. I
walked Slim the last mile and by the time we reached the finish line he
trotted out fine again. Of course all the riders that I had hoped to beat
past me and I ended up in 12th place, but I was really, really glad that
nothing worse had happened. (Btw, top ten awards were buckets - got enugh of
those at home ;-)). Lesson learned: Don't assume that another rider is able
to realize you're coming and get out of your way within a few seconds. Even
when you think there's plenty of room and you did announce that you want to
pass, you still should slow down.
My point: I've learned to better play it safe, leave more room and be
prepared to take a step to the side, no matter wether I'm the one passing or
being passed, wether I'm racing or not. At the same time I think we all
should keep in mind that everybody makes mistakes. Of course there are people
who are just plain ignorant. But maybe the person who's racing by really
didn't mean to run you over, and just as your horse might be difficult to
handle when others are blasting by, so might be the one that's racing down
the trail. That doesn't make it right, just a little more understandable. I
think a seasoned 50 or 100 miler should have his/her horse under control,
versus a 25 miler doing this as a training ride for green horse and rider
should be met with more tolerance. But I wouldn't expect a 100miler at mile
95 to necessarly consider this.
In the end what it boils down to is that this is all part of the sport and
one has to figure out how to deal with it. Blaming others is just a waste of
time and energy.

Kirsten