Re: RC: River Run

NdurN@aol.com wrote:

> To start another arguement up again, there was a wreck at the beginning of
> the ride with the rider on the ground and the saddle hanging under the horse,
>  He was absolutely terrified and ran blindly thru two wire fences.  Luckily,
> it seems injuries were not serious to either horse or rider and the other 60
> riders on the trail at the same time were not run over.  Now my point....Had
> there been a breast collar on this horse it is quite possible the saddle
> would have remained upright.  As I was tacking up, someone walked by and
> asked why in the world was I using a breast collar on  this ride...(it is
> very flat)  I replied that in case the girth broke, I preferred a back up
> system.  Did not know I was Physic.
>
> In Summary,,,at last,,,Angie, Howard , Jennifer and I all finished...Yea
>
> Susan K
> Tennessee

When I was growing up my Grandfather taught me to always ride with a breast
collar, just in case the horse spooked and the saddle slipped.  Back many years
ago when I started this sport I was galloping along at a FL ride on good trail.
I was about 20 meters behind another rider and we came to this curve and there
was this huge limb hanging out over the trail.  Well the other rider was about
5-2 on a 14-2 hand horse and I noticed that she just slid under it by about 4
inches.  Well I'm about six feet on a 16 hand horse and I decided I had better
duck hard and fast. When I did this the force from the turn put more weight on
the outside stirrup.  Well I was using a Wentec at the time and those things (at
least back then ) are worthless and it slipped down.  The breast collar caught
it and while I was not up right on the horse, I stayed on and had time to bring
the horse to a safe and sane stop and get off.

I do not do a ride without one.  I might do a training ride without one, but
very seldom.

Truman

--
Truman Prevatt
Brooksville, FL

Mystic "The Horse from Hell" Storm
Buck's Mystic Karma
Rocket a.k.a. Mr. Misty
Jordy a.k.a. Bridger (when he is good)
Danson Flame - Hot Dog I'm healed and ready to go.

http://www.mrsl.com