RE: Re: "Hating" the Halter

-----Original Message-----
From:	Alec Joesph [SMTP:alecman@alltel.net]
Hi!  Just a small problem I am having with a new horse and wondering if
any of you could offer some suggestions.
prefer to wear no halter, as he is thin-skinned and rubs bare spots
easily, however, I cannot do a thing with him when he is "free"????
Thanks for any suggestions..............

Kelly from SW PA

[Karen Sullivan]  Hi Kelly, my sister and I had one of these uncatchable creatures when we were kids. We thought it too dangerous to leave a halter on in the pasture, but the minute you would raise your arm to put on halter or lead rope over the neck, off she would be.  Yet, once she had a rope on, she was "caught." What we ended up doing was taking a piece of soft, but strong rope that we put around her neck, with 4 to 6 inches leftover hanging below her cheekbones.  We then rubber-banded it together pretty tight. This stayed on, but in the event it was caught on a tree branch or fence, the rubber bands would pull apart.  It's worth a try, and I can't see any danger from it.  Anyway, when she had her haed in a bucket of grain, you could sneak your hand up from below and grab the hanging ends of the rope.
 << File: ATT00000.html >>  << File:  >>

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-