Re: RC: extra help on trail

At 07:51 AM 11/13/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>dovie pickering dovie@aci.net
>I was wondering if it is allowed within the AERC rules that our crew could
>meet you on the trail with water, food or stuff like electrolytes?  I was
>on a LD ride and this happen I rode up to the truck and was told that this
>was only for so and so.  But I could have some .  I was sort of
>embarrassed and rode on.  I didn't think that if wasnot allowed but now I
>am curious.  Any answars out there?  Dovie

Hi Dovie:  Well, that all depends on the ride.  At a lot of rides, you can
be DQ'd if your crew goes where they are not allowed, which can be any
number of places, and usually includes anyplace outside of the designated
vet checks or basecamp.  They will tell you this at the ride meeting, and
it should be on information in the packet they give you (hopefully).  On
other rides, the crews are allowed anywhere and if so, generally are happy
to supply anybody with anything they need.  Just make sure your horse has
received a strangles vaccine so you don't risk having them get sick like
happened at a ride or two in this region in the last year or two (28 horses
at one ride got sick, from drinking out of a community trough).  I don't
mind letting anybody elses horses drink out of my buckets as long as I know
them, though I know that is quite a risk, but it's one I'm willing to take
because I'd hate to have somebody deny my horse water so I won't do that to
somebody else.  We can't worry about every little thing or we'd never leave
our homes!  Still, if somebody does not want to share water I won't hold it
against them, especially if they have spent over $1,000 in veterinary bills
from getting a sick horse at a ride.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in NV
& Rocky, 2,060 miles
& Weaver, 3,155 miles
http://members.xoom.com/ridephotos/

(pictures coming soon of the Carson Valley Arabian Assoc. Turkey Trot, 40
riders (about 20% endurance riders)....Weaver is still out there with my
friends daughter, hopefully behaving, unless of course those horse eating
goblins <lamas> come after him again!)