December AERC International Newsletter

International Column- December 1999

Compiled by Pamela Burton

This being the end of the year, end of a decade, and end of a century, it is
a great time to reflect on some of International's exciting events and the
riders that made those events memorable.

We want to congratulate the participants who have made the United States
such a dominant force in World Endurance. The U.S. has the distinction of
being undefeated in taking the individual gold medal in seven World's
Endurance Championships, on or off continent.  Sandy Shuler and Shiko's Omar
won in Rome in 1986. Becky Hart and RO Grand Sulton (Rio) won at Front
Royal, Va. in 1988, in Stockholm Sweden in 1990 in conjunction with a WEG
(World Equestrian Games), and in Barcelona, Spain in 1992.  In 1994 Valerie
Kanavy and Pieraz (Cash) won in Den Haag, Netherlands (WEG).  In 1996
daughter Danielle Kanavy won on Cash in Kansas, while in 1998 Valerie Kanavy
galloped home first in the Dual of the Desert in Dubai, UAE, on High Winds
Jedi.
Further, the USA won Team Gold in 1988 and 1996, and three Silvers, in 1986,
1992, and 1998. I know that riders are racing for the Long List and putting
in long hours of conditioning to get ready for the World Endurance
Championship in 2000 which will be held in Compiègne, France, just north of
that City of Lights, Paris.  We hope to see you there.

The 2000 WEC Selection Process, by Art Priesz, Jr., National Selection
Chair.

	By the time this article is published, USET will or will be about to make
available invitations for nomination and nomination applications and
materials for the 2000 World Endurance Championships in France, set to take
place in August of the coming year.

	I understand there is anxiety over the perceived mystery of selection.
Truthfully, there is little mystery.  We intend to pick, from a large group
of the best horse/rider endurance combinations in the world, the six
fastest, best, fittest, soundest, and steadiest in the world who will go to
France and prove we were right.

While, to be honest, the U.S. is the best in the world at endurance, being
it and proving it are sometimes different sides of the same coin.  To win,
and that is the ultimate goal, means being lucky and good.  Timing is
everything, geography is everything else, and there is the rub.

Our nominees generally get to the long list as a result of their and their
horses steadiness over time and consistent soundness.  A lightly experienced
horse may still make it to the long list with an experienced/winning rider
or by demonstrating speed and ability over 100 miles courses together with
metabolic and locomotive soundness.  Additionally, a seasoned rider and
horse with significant international experience can make the long list also,
when the selectors believe they deserve an opportunity to prove they still
have it in them.

	Of the three general categories just listed, the first group usually are
seated directly to the long list.  The later two types, and their progeny,
require a balancing by the selectors, usually resulting in significant
discussion.  The decision to long list riders is based on paper, their
submitted (and verified) application, essay answers, and records.  So,
taking time to carefully and completely fill out the nomination form is a
priority, a large priority.

	Once the long list is chosen, each listed rider has an equal opportunity to
prove they should be selected to the USET squad of six.  The nominee is only
required to complete one 100 mile AERC race during that subsequent
evaluation period.  However, they may chose to do more than that, including
50-75 mile races as well as even additional 100 mile races.  They must each
think out their own campaign.

The ride schedule is also up to the nominee.  Different riders with
different experience, or more or less of a demonstrated history with their
horse, may choose different schedules.  Different riders have different
questions to answer to the committee and different abilities to prove.

One or more of the five selectors intend to attend each evaluation ride by
each nominee.  We do not require nominees go head-to-head, but obviously it
helps them more to finish top five in a 50 horse race, than to finish first
in a three horse race.

Ultimately, the selectors will choose, by a super majority or consensus, if
at all possible, six squad members and up to six ranked alternates.
Selectors will consider many factors, which will focus on quality, ability,
recoveries, condition, demonstrated speed, soundness (metabolic and
movement), steadiness, performance, and competitiveness.  In close cases,
the selectors will look back to long list discussions, and issues like the
ability to handle and show the horse on the ground (an ability and skill
which cannot be over-emphasized) will become more and more important.

	We would be heartbroken if this ended up being an easy decision.  We expect
and hope after the decisions are made there will be riders who will be
disappointed.  We want 24 long listed riders, all of whom USET can expect
would win/medal and/or top ten in the WEC.  We can promise they will be
evaluated and judged fairly.  I served on the prior National Selection
Committee and there was no regional bias (other than the mistaken belief by
Oregonians I was from back East and by those in the Eastern Zone I was from
out West.

	USET is continuing to invest significant resources in sponsoring the U.S.
Team for endurance.  It is up to all of us to return that support, by
joining USET, and to prove they are right to invest in our sport by proving
what we all know, are the best in the world.

	So, if you are at the Wolverine, or Swan River, or the Biltmore, or
FoxFire, or anywhere else and see friends or rivals racing in front of
squinty-eyed, nose scrunched, bow-legged selector(s), cheer that rider on,
offer them crew help, forgive them for yelling at you to get out of the way,
and, if you can, beat them anyway.  You will only be helping them in the
long run.

Art Priesz, Jr., has been a ride manager, rider in endurance and competitive
trail events, audited or been a clinic participant in equine health,
dressage and TTEAM seminar and classes, was president of UMECRA for 10
years, a former intercollegiate athlete, youth coach in baseball and
basketball, a public speaker on a variety of topics including endurance
riding, Central Zone Selection Chair, the Central Zone selector, a team
statistician for the CZET (1995, 1997, 1999) and for USET (1996) and has
crewed thanklessly since the early 1980s.  As a trial lawyer and officer of
the Court, he always tells the truth, or at least some version of it.

FYI
	"All of the nominations for the AERC International Committee Zone
Representatives have been received and the election is underway. Nominations
have been received for every zone. Those of you in the Central, Pacific
North, and Pacific South Zones will not receive ballots because the nominees
for those zones are running unopposed. Those of you in the East and Mountain
Zones should have received ballots to vote for a new zone representative for
each of your respective zones."  Tony Benedetti, International Committee
Chair.

If you have items of interest for the International Column, please email
Pamela Burton at PSaintjohn@aol.com.
Phone 925-229-9960, Fax:  925-229-9961.  Looking forward!