Olenader Poisoning

Susan Johnson sjthephoto@aol.com
Hi Ridecampers!!!  Some of you may remember me, I used to subscribe, but I had to quit when I opened my on-line tack shop, Pony Only, and now I'm back for your kind words and good suggestions.

You may also remember that I finally found a wonderful pony for my daughter.  Lizzy and Sydney (age 7) were doing great together, even entering a few shows, until Wednesdsay.

My entire life changed on Wednesday.  I went to the stable where I've boarded for almost a year, and found Lizzy very, very sick.  Our vet is just around the corner, so I took her over, and I was told that she had colitis and needed to go to UC Davis, NOW!

I took her and my daughter right away.  It really scared me when, before I could even take her out of the trailer, they had to talk to me about how much it would cost, that horses, IF they go home, can cost $4,000 to $6,000.  AHHHHH!!! But how can you put a price on your daughter's best friend????

Today we went to see Lizzy.  Yes, she's made it so far (today is Friday).  The vet really didn't think that she would make it through the night, and yes, I did give her permission to put her down if needed.  I'm so glad that we didn't have to do that.  After driving 2 hours for a 15 minute visit, I was told that Lizzy (a 45" POA pony, about 12 years old) had Oleander poisoning.  I feel lucky to have found her when I did, as this is fatal in most cases.  It's too early to tell, but it looks like this tough little pony should make it.  Her EKG is normal, and as of today, thanks to our local vet, no indication of founder.

Where we board, there isn't ANY Oleander.  There are 40+ horses there, and No oleander.  Lizzy was in the barn Tuesday night.  During the day on Tuesday, she was out in the arena, running and feeling good.  She spent the day in her paddock on Tuesday.  There is only one other boarder at this ranch, the owner raises Appys and Quarters there.  No other horses have gotten ill.

My question to you is...How the heck could she have gotten this?  Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreicated.  Feel free to e-mail me privately at:  sjthePhoto@aol.com

Thanks!!!!

Susan Johnson

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-