Fwd: RC: Height in FEI Horses

In a message dated 11/11/99 8:16:44 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Trailrite@aol.com writes:

<<  I think a more overall picture is evolved in success.  I'm
 sure you do too.
 Size to match rider
 Basic good conformation
 Good conditioning program with a relaxed attitude to cover ground
 Well, balanced diet, this includes that the horse is a good eater & drinker
 Proper balanced shoeing (very important)

These thigns are of tremendous consequence in any horse related sport, but
particularly in endurance. One of my BEST ana favorite hunters over the past
24 years was 'only' 13.2 hands! Well no one told HIM he was too short to be a
success, so....he was a success - over fences, cutting cattle, dressage,
parading, team penning - you name it, he did it.

And Tammy, just so YOU know, Gary is TERRIBLY impressed with JJ - she is a
stout, solid mare in his moderately educated opinion - more than competent at
14.2.
san

---- Begin included message ----
    I'm responding to you, not to disagree but to add some input on your
observations.  Please don't take this as "I thought your wrong. OK?" :))

    My Husbands horse is 15 hands or 60 1/2 inches.  (we measure by the
inch).  He is 1st PS Heavyweight - 1998 & 1999 & 1st Pioneer Heavyweight
division - 1999
Charlie Robinson on Ima Liberated Lady.  1005 miles to date just in
multi-days. This horse has about 4000 recorded miles in 3 years.  Lady is 7
years old.

    My horse Katie Bar The Door is 15 hands or 60 inches.
PS Lightweight - 1998 & 1999  has about 4000 recorded mile in 3 years.  Katie
is 8 years old.

    So I don't think, because we do so well with smaller horses, that size is
that important.  But, I wouldn't want to see a 6' , 200 + rider on a 14.2
horse either.  I think a more overall picture is evolved in success.  I'm
sure you do too.
Size to match rider
Basic good conformation
Good conditioning program with a relaxed attitude to cover ground
Well, balanced diet, this includes that the horse is a good eater & drinker
Proper balanced shoeing (very important)
Education on endurance related problems (thumps, tie-ups, exhaustion)
Balanced rider with good fitting equipment
Knowledge on pace and weather conditions
Knowing when & how much electrolytes to administer during competition
etc. etc.......

    Even after knowing all of the above, something new will tap you on the
shoulder out there in competition.  What I tell my students is "If there is a
ride that you competed in, and you didn't learn something, then your past me
in experience" of 23 years.   I will even get all of the students together
after the ride and we will all share what we as individuals learned today.

Tammy Robinson

---- End included message ----