Suspensory Ligaments separating from the ankle bone

Chicki Jacques jacques@silk.net
At a ride in September my horse, Beau, twisted his ankle on a soft, non-rocky road. It was a bummer because he was 80 miles from getting his 3000 miles. We all thought it was a bad sprain of the ankle. I did very aggressive therapy - cold hosing, sweating, wrapping etc. but to no avail. Some of the swelling came down but, by the beginning of November, he still had some heat, was still slightly off. My vet x-rayed him, did not find anything on the bone but now believes he has probably separated suspensory ligaments from the bone. He has told me to keep him confined in a small paddock and not to let him run in the big pasture. That is no problem but I feel I could do more for him.

Has anyone out there used patches from Chinese medicine. They are supposed to work on humans. Also what about support boots, are they a help or a hindrance? We are definitely shut down for the winter but I want to use this time to make it heal as best as possible.

My vet has also told me I may never get to race him again but he has come back from many different types of injuries so I won't believe that until it happens. I would appreciate any feedback on this subject and any personal experiences. What are the winters for but to do research! Especially up here in the frozen north!!

Chicki Jacques
Kelowna, B.C.

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-