RE: Lake Oroville Vista

Dear Sharon,

Your note to Ridecamp was wonderful! I'm a newbie and brought a friend who had never done endurance to the Lake Oroville Vista Endurance (L.O.V.E.) Ride this weekend (what was she thinking having me as a mentor and guide on a virgin ride??). We had a wonderful time and everyone working on the ride was great! Particularly the cooks...they took care of my friend's elderly parents/fan club who had to wait for 3 OT hours for us to finish ...

Unfortunately, we finished overtime on our 25 miler (which, IMHO, had to be more than 25 miles regardless of our various excursions off trail, some operation error). The trail marking was confusing and by the end we were discouraged. During what we thought was the home stretch, we were stopped at a scary tunnel and were too tired (us, not our horses, per se) to turn back and do more miles. Probably not very smart, but we took a police escort (a novel experience) through this very long, very dark tunnel (off trail, but parallel to the general idea) and ended up crossing the finish from the opposite direction. A great learning experience for me and my friend. And, a first for the sheriff's department--and you thought you couldn't find a cop when you needed one!

Chalk is free!

Thank you everyone (riders and management)—you were all so friendly and really hooked us on this sport! Two new recruits ready to try it again next year (and finish on time)!

Michele and Kim