Lake Oroville Vista 50

This was a first time ride sponsored by the Lake Oroville Mounted
Assistance Unit.  It is my understanding that none of the group except for
one person, had any endurance experience and that one person had only
ridden one or maybe two rides.  The work this group put into this ride was
incredible.  They really tried and it is my understanding they will put the
ride on again.  The trails were beautiful even though this is primarily a
state park that seems to be on both sides of a couple highways.  They also
had to route us around the dam.  They had ham radio, boy scouts, and
members holding traffic for us as well as cautioning us while on concrete
(we were dismounted) etc.  Their signs were great, lots of water, and
beautiful trails as well as spotters in the tricky places.  In addition
they had felt they would be lucky to have 50 or 60 riders.  The last I
heard, they had over 106 signed up at 6 PM on Friday!  They did have some
major problems that most riders were quick to point out <g> and some of us
used our evaluation forms to give some suggestions for next time......and
that is my point.  If these folks had not worked and tried so hard, I would
have been upset but as it was, I quickly got over my frustration, realized
I would have to depend on myself a lot more than I'm used to these days
(shades of the old days when we had no maps and were lucky to have any
markings at all)  and guess what - we made it yesterday...but I digress.......
IMO we do not take advantage of our very experienced help out there whether
they are still riding, managing or not.  Wouldn't it have been nice if
these people could have received a list of  people in their region that had
signed up through AERC to act as an advisor, mentor or whatever to someone
putting a ride on for the first time.  Just someone to get help from,
someone to remind them how important it was to be familiar with the rules
and use the AERC handbook.  I know this sounds elementary but just try to
imagine yourself, having never hardly ridden a ride and you're putting one
on!  Scary isn't it! <vbg>  Yes, you have these books, but there is a
zillion things to do and do these things you read stick, particularly when
they apply to something you know very little about?
Talked to a first time rider at the dinner.  She complained that she was
given some mis-information, which she was but then she admitted she had a
rule book at home but no she had never read it.  That would have easily
solved her problem
We need new rides and riders.  They are the lifeblood of our
sport.  Comments? Suggestions?
We (Brawo & I) had a great ride and hubby did his usual fantastic job of
crewing.  We were too tired to stay up for the awards (at 8:30 the ride
secretary was still pouring over the vet sheet etc. etc.) so we went to
bed.  Don't know how many completed (don't know for sure how many started)
and have no idea where we came in!  Tried to find out this am but to no
avail.
Congratulations to this group for starting what promises to be a great
ride.  You have great country and tremendous support staff.  We will go back!

Sharon,
West Region
AERC # 1770