Re: Different milage buckets

In a message dated 11/7/99 5:40:35 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mmieske@netonecom.net writes:

<< But if that's the case (it's the riding not the records) then why even be a
 member of AERC?>>

AERC and ride managers provide you a format (LD) in which to learn HOW to
endurance ride before you actually take on the challenge of 50 miles.  The
whole point of endurance is to be able to keep your horse fit and sound over
the ENTIRE course of an endurance ride.  That is a significant challenge, and
just isn't as tough if you don't go the miles.  Plain and simple.  But unless
you have significant confidence and equine experience, you may not be able to
do that the "first time out of the box" so to speak.  So--LD is there as a
stepping stone to get into the sport.  What I can't figure out is why ANYONE
would want credit for something they haven't done yet--that's like wanting a
college diploma for completing junior high, or a commercial driver's license
for having figured out how to get a compact car around the block.  But then I
guess I shouldn't be surprised, as our whole society seems to be in a hurry
to get everywhere--gimme, gimme, gimme.  The concept of EARNING something
seems to be getting pretty old fashioned.  People say that "miles are miles"
but it is NOT the same to not have to do them all at the same time!  I can go
out and ride 5 miles a day for 10 days, but that is NOT the same as getting
through 50 miles in 12 hours or less, and passing all the vet checks.  Nor is
it the same to do 25 miles today and another 25 next week.  When you see a
horse that has 2000 or 5000 or however many miles, that REPRESENTS
something--ie a horse that has the ability to GET THROUGH 50 miles or more at
a time, and to continue to do so over and over again.  To include shorter
distances alters that meaning significantly.  And as much as I support LD,
and respect LD riders, I'm not willing to alter the meaning of what endurance
is or lower the bar for accomplishment.  We might as well go ride trail
classes at the horse show--that's challenging, too, but it's not endurance
riding.

<<.the other day I was
 actually trying to budget our rides for next year....the minimum # of rides
 we wanted to attend, what we hoped to ride and on which horses, etc.  It is
 important to me to get miles on these horses and do well.  Well, when I
 tallied up the MINIMUM, not including any rides that we might just decide
 to go to on the spur of the moment (if we have any money to do so!), I was
 shocked.  I didn't figure in any other expenses except ride fees.  It was
 several thousand dollars.>>

You can spend a lot of money to do organized pleasure rides that don't earn
AERC miles, either.  This isn't about dollars spent--it's about being able to
get a horse over a LONG course in good shape.

<<  Our ride fees in Michigan are VERY reasonable
 but I also know AERC gets their fair share of it (in addition to my dues).

AERC gets $3 per rider, not counting the drug test fee.  That's only about 5%
of the entry fee, give or take a little bit, and isn't exactly a big bite.

Heidi