Re: RC: Re: Re: Re: Beet Pulp

In a message dated 11/5/99 8:24:18 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mmieske@netonecom.net writes:

<< Beet pulp is a forage.  Overeating hay doesn't have devastating effects on
 a horse.  I have heard people tell of horses getting into the beet pulp and
 eating substantial amounts (like 30-40 #) without any ill effects.  Some
 horses who cannot eat hay for whatever reason are fed beet pulp exclusively
 (if it's a heavey horse it must be wet) and at 1 or 2 % of body weight that
 could amount to a half a bag a day.  I have a lot of confidence in beet
 pulp.  My experience is limited to the use of shredded pulp however.

 Maggie Mieske
 Mieske's Silver Lining
 McBain, Michigan
 http://www.netonecom.net/~mmieske

Hi Maggie,
    One of the reasons I soak everything that goes into my horses is because
of a major problem that happen to me about 7-8 years ago.  I was boarding one
of my endurance horse's, and of course the place did not feed the roughage
that this horse required.  So being ever so efficient I started to slowly
introduce bur/alf pellets to his diet.  Upon completion at a 50 miler (which
was hot and I had placed somewhere in the top ten) about 2 hours after, my
horse started to colic.  To make this short, we almost lost this horse.  But
do to the great efforts of the ride vet (oil, IV's the whole deal) and my
family & friends (walking, walking, walking) this horse pulled through.
Finally, at 6:00am the following morning he passed a large clop of manure.
This manure had half hydrated pellets in it.  The appearance look sort of
like concrete with gravel in it.  The vet agreed after the manure inspection.
:))  That the pellets, along with heat, & going fast was my enemy.  Funny
thing I do remember was, that the horse scored high in all aspects.  I even
showed for BC!
    After that I never will feed any horse concentrated feed without a good
soaking.  I sure hated learning something like this the hard way.  My horse
didn't like it either.  So I just try and pass the word to add water.  Soaked
supplements won't hurt them but just maybe unsoaked might.  Since ya never
know, I just feel safe that way.
Tammy