Beet Pulp

I just read this was one of "those" questions that stirs the pot.  Sorry, but I really need some answers.
  How much beet pulp do you feed for weight gain?  What is beet pulps exact purpose?  It was recommended to me for weight gain on one of our geldings, I also add rice bran approx 2 cups with it.  My vet said that would be fine for him but never elaborated for how long or other qualitities of beet pulp.  I haven't found any litature re: beet pulp.
  o.k. ride camp have at it
Sincerely......LISA
.