Re: RC: Semantics: E vs LD

In a message dated 11/5/99 6:41:09 AM Pacific Standard Time,
forbes@mountainmax.net writes:

<<  Are the people and
 horses at these rides thought of as either LIMITED or ENDURING?  I hope
 not! >>

Heavens, no.  The term "endurance ride" has a specific definition as per the
rules, but that technical definition (as you pointed out in your post, one
DOES have to have names for things) does not make LD riders any less
diligent, gutsy, or whatever, nor does it indicate any less respect for what
LD riders accomplish.  When I started this sport, most of us were already
equine diehards--many of us had cattle ranching backgrounds, etc., so already
had a foundation that enabled us to jump right in doing 50's or longer.  That
is NOT the demographic pattern of most of the horse owners in this
country--many are in suburbia and perhaps never even HAD horses as a kid.
For the majority of you getting started, riding 25 miles is a daunting
challenge--and it SHOULD be, if you haven't been-there-done-that in some
other aspect of your life with horses.  There's no shame in that--that's
simply a reality.  And then there are those on the other end of the spectrum
who flat CAN'T ride further--much as they would love to--but who still want
to see the scenery (and often the lure of "competition" is an incentive to
get you out there to ride) and enjoy your endurance "family."  No, an LD
isn't an "endurance ride" by definition.  But that doesn't make ANY of you LD
riders 2nd class citizens in ANYBODY's book--at least not anybody that
counts.  And furthermore, as I stated earlier, if you do an LD, as far as I
am concerned, you are an "endurance rider" even if you didn't do an
"endurance ride."  And for gosh sakes, when you tell your non-endurance
friends about it, feel free to call it endurance--how else are they going to
understand what it is that we do?

Heidi