No Subject

My daughters Morgan has  been diagnosed (ultrasound) with a thickening and hardening of the annular ligament in her right hind. It is causing her to travel short and causes soreness if she is used for any length of time at all.
Surgery has been discussed, but the vet was not sure how much relief that would offer her. Suggested we could "just bute her and go".
Sigh.
Has any one had any experience with this?
We are very upset (favorite horse) and would love to hear from ridecampers who have experience with this.
Thanks guys!
Vicki