Re: massage therapy for horses

Hi Carol, 2 quick questions....

>The UC Davis Equestrian Center was offering a massage therapy class for
>horses which had to be cancelled because they didn't get enough signups.
>If anyone is interested, I would be happy to coordinate getting another
>class scheduled with them.  It is a two hour class for $40.00.  Fleetson
>was going to be the "massagee" demo horse, and he is really disappointed
;-)

>Carol and Fleetie
>Sacramento, CA

What was the purpose of this class? A 1 day intro to massage for Equine MT
hopefuls? For interested horse owners?
 I can't think of what you would learn in just 2 hours. I had my 1 day
intro, it cost me $140 (that's worth a month and a half of grain for
me...expensive!) and was a full day, 9-5. And we hardly got started on a
massage sequence! The pre-req for the class was you had to be either a human
MT, PT, chiro or DVM because there simply isn't enough time to spend going
over the basics of anatomy, anatomical terms and basic body knowledge.
Not to bash it, cause I think it's a valuable starting point, but these
massage mills like Equissage that churn out people every few weeks scare me.
You get a certificate for completing the course. You don't have to have any
horse experience. Now, if you start w/ that and go to an Equimyo or any more
involved course, then kudos for you, cause you're really interested in it
and want to learn.

As you might be able to tell, I'm kinda interested in these short courses,
especially since they might be fuel for the fire of State boards that want
to limit the practice of MT's working on equines. Hey, I'm 19, gotta be
interested in something!

Marlana Pitas & LL Rheebok (can I be a massagee demo horse too?)
South Attleboro, MA
http://users.tp.net/lrp